cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For anyone being collected for a Frontier bill...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

For anyone being collected for a Frontier bill...

My wife signed us up for Frontier internet last year and put it in my name. Long story short, it went into default and was turned over to Eastern Account Solutions (EAS) for collection.

I called Frontier and was told that their policy is to enlist a collection agent to collect on their behalf, but that they retain ownership of the debt. They took payment directly and gave me a confirmation number for verification of payment.

I then called EAS to let them know the debt has been paid to the OC and that their collection authority is no longer in effect. The lady I spoke with took my name and the confirmation number, told me that Frontier is very good about letting them know, and that she would call them directly if she doesn’t get official notice from them in the next 72 hours. When I asked about a timeframe for removing their entry from my reports (they report to all 3 bureaus), she said they’d notify all three upon receipt of official notice from Frontier and in one reporting cycle or less, they should cease to exist on my reports.

Just wanted to share a happy point in the day and also put out a searchable result for paying Frontier directly and having a CA action on their behalf deleted from my reports - at least with this OC and CA, it appears to be pretty painless.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Brooklyn2018
Valued Contributor

Re: For anyone being collected for a Frontier bill...

Awesome!!👍

😊

Goal Score: 600(within a year)**MET MY GOAL** | Goal Score: 700**MET MY GOAL** | Goal score: 800
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

>

I❤️NY
Message 2 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

I am happy that it worked for you, but would caution others not to rely upon your outcome as standard practice.

A debt collector is not required to delete their reported collection if the consumer pays the original creditor.

They are only required to update the balance to $0 and close the collection.

They had active collection authority up to time of payment of the debt.

CRA policy only instructs debt collectors to delete their reported collection if their collection authority is terminated prior to payment of the debt..  If you choose to pay the original creditor while the debt collector still has legit collection authority, then deletion by the debt collector is purely voluntary.

The forum is replete with posts where the debt collector has refused to delete after the consumer paid the original creditor.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Robert, understood - I’ll definitely update this once I see that they do (or do not) keep their word.
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.