Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forgot about this credit card now it’s 120 days late

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Forgot about this credit card now it’s 120 days late

Hi guys,

I can't believe I forgot about this credit card. I have 5 others, but somehow forgot about this one. It says it's 120 days, but on my credit report it says it's been "closed". But when I log in, it allows me to make a payment. I don't want to make a payment right now if it's not gonna improve my score. I wonder if I can do a pay to delete for this. This was a secured credit card that I deposited $200 into. So I would just pay the difference, right? Any advice would help. I really screwed this up. I have been fixing my credit so I can buy a house in the next 6-9 months. My credit dropped almost 100 points to 570 because of this. 

I'm not sure why I can't post a screenshot of the account, but it's with a Green Dot Primor Secured Credit Card. I deposited $200 and owe $280 balance. Thanks 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Forgot about this credit card now it’s 120 days late

Hi and welcome 

No, you would need to pay the whole thing regardless of card being secured. 

Most original creditors will not do PFD, that's reserved for collection agencies.

You might want to pay it now because your mortgage lender will make it a requirement anyway. 

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will I get my deposit back or did I lose it? 
Is there a way to recover from this with the least amount of damage to my credit? Smiley Sad

Message 3 of 7
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Will I get my deposit back or did I lose it? 
Is there a way to recover from this with the least amount of damage to my credit? Smiley Sad

Once you pay everything back in full, you should get it back. @Remedios can correct me if I'm wrong.

Unfortunately you'd only be able to recover if this was deleted altogether, which isn't going to happen with the original creditor. Best you can do is write goodwill letters/emails and ask them to remove the lates, but even that has a slim chance of working.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 4 of 7
Remedios
Credit Mentor

In general, deposit is returned once debt is satisfied but you will need to check your cardholder agreement to see what/when happens with your deposit.

Message 5 of 7
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Check your other 5 accounts and make sure alerts are set or turned on for due date, statement date, or late via text and/or email. Then you'll know when you forget if it happens again. And your junk e-mail folder with your email. If its in junk. Unjunk it.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi guys,

I can't believe I forgot about this credit card. I have 5 others, but somehow forgot about this one. It says it's 120 days, but on my credit report it says it's been "closed". But when I log in, it allows me to make a payment. I don't want to make a payment right now if it's not gonna improve my score. I wonder if I can do a pay to delete for this. This was a secured credit card that I deposited $200 into. So I would just pay the difference, right? Any advice would help. I really screwed this up. I have been fixing my credit so I can buy a house in the next 6-9 months. My credit dropped almost 100 points to 570 because of this. 

I'm not sure why I can't post a screenshot of the account, but it's with a Green Dot Primor Secured Credit Card. I deposited $200 and owe $280 balance. Thanks 

You must also keep an eye on your other 5 accounts, check each one a few times a week. When this happens it can cause a waterfall of AA's and other cards may close you down or do a CLD based on that one late card. No one likes to be left holding the bag. This is not over yet so you need to be very proactive .

Thanks

Mark

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.