Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Franklin Collection - Pay in full or settlement

tag
ScottL
New Contributor

Franklin Collection - Pay in full or settlement

I have a collection on my account that is currently outstanding. I called and talked to them on 2 different occasions now. Both times, they told me they will not do a pay for delete. The last time, the guy told me it is not "him" its the owner of the debt "AT&T" that will not let them delete it.

I do not really know what else to do except throw a fit and maybe ask for a manager.  So he said I could either pay it in full, or they will take a settlement for 35% off the amount owed.  Then it will be reported as "paid in full" or "paid settlement"

so my question is...

1. for credit score reasons, or obtaining credit in the future. Does it matter if it shows settlement? or should I try everything I can to pay in full?

2. anyone have experience with Franklin Collections or ATT?  is there any chance of getting a pay for delete?

3. if not, once paid... any chance i can dispute or get it deleted afterwards?

Starting Score: 498 (Jan 2013)
Current FICO 8: 687 EQ, 683 TU, 700 EX
Goal Score: 680
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Franklin Collection - Pay in full or settlement

I moved in 2009 and didnt get my last AT&T bill. A $95 Franklin collection was the result. I received collection notice in June paid it in July. Wrote a goodwill letter in 2013 and it was removed from all 3 cr within a week.
Message 2 of 9
ScottL
New Contributor

did you send the goodwill letter to Franklin, or AT&T?

so they will delete it after paid, but wont do it with the pay? seems like extra work lol

Message 3 of 9
ScottL
New Contributor

i would assume paying it in full would probably give me a better chance of a deletion than a settlment?

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I sent the GW to Franklin. I didnt have any AT&T tradelines on my report just the collection from Franklin. My 2013 GW letter just said I pulled my reports and noticed a PAID collection on all 3 cr from a debt i paid in 2009. I explained the move and not receiving the final bill. I also asked for a goodwill removal of the tradeline based on my quick attention to the collection notice.
Message 5 of 9
ScottL
New Contributor

Okay thanks. I am paying them off Friday in full and i will start the GW letters next week  Smiley Happy

do you have the address or contact by chance you went through?

Message 6 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The CRAs have a policy, as clearly set forth in their common credit reporting manual, that debt collectors are NOT to delete their collections based on payment of the debt.

The CRAs want to maintain the completeness, and thus value to others, of the credit reports they sell.

Thus, they are complying with their reporting agreements.  You will most likely need to speak to a manager to obtain an exception from their normal no-deletion policy.

An underlying may make statements such as it is illegal, when in actuality it is not illegal to delete, but only their policy.  Bottom line is that they dont have the authority to dellete, so arguing the basis for their non-deletion is fruitless.  You need to speak with someone who has discretion to grant an exception.

As for paying in full vs a a settlement for less, both result in discharge of the debt, provided it is clear that whatever payment they receive is considered full satisfaction of all debt.  If payment discharges the debt, the debt collector is required under the FCRA to close their collection and update the balance to $0.  No special agreement is required to obtain closure of the collectin and updated reporting of $0 balance.

Howver, the debt collector retains an option, if they settle for less, to separately report that fact to the CRA by way of a special comment stating paid/settled for less.

That is never a favorable bit of info in your credit report, as it advises others doing a manual review that you have a prior history of not paying the entire debt that you obligated.  Stated simply, it advises that a prior creditor took a loss in having extended credit to you.  That alone can be a basis for denial of new credit.

Outside of obtaining a PFD, the next best thing is to obtain a settlement for less, thus saving money, and additionally their agreement not to report paid/settled for less.

Your credit report will then read the same as if you had paid the debt in full.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I sent the letter the address listed on my report. Good luck!

Message 8 of 9
Jerel82TX
New Contributor

Pay ATT directly and they will recall it from Franklin and it will be removedSmiley Happy Call ATT 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.