Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freaking out - collection?!

tag
skigirl916
Established Contributor

Freaking out - collection?!

I just received a call from a debt collection agency for a debt I do not owe for renters insurance that I cancelled.  The notice for cancellation even says: "We will not send you to a collection agency, and no report of any kind will be sent to credit exchanges."

But still, I am TERRIFIED of what will happen if the collection agency reports this.

I repeated myself over and over and over that I do not owe this debt and thatI have the proof. 

HELP.

What's going to happen????

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

Re: Freaking out - collection?!

Quit being afraid, and give them a call. State you don't owe the debt. Also, call the original creditor, and ask why they sent to collection agency. (Actually, I pay my renter's insurance annually, so if I cancel, they owe me money).

I'd call the original creditor first.
Signature needs updating
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agreed with Imperfect....Contact the OC and ask what happen and why they send the debt to collection and go from there.  IF it not in your report yet, you still have time to resolve it.

Message 3 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Yes, call the OC and have them straighten it out.

However, in the meantime, I highly recommend you send a DV to the debt collector.

Since they have not yet sent dunning notice (I presume), then it will be timely and invoke an automatice cease collection bar on the debt collector.

That includes reporting of their collection to a CRA.

They will then be unable to continue any collection activities until they have first obtained verification of the debt from the creditor.

In view of your comments, they apparently will not b able to do so.  Your call to the OC should confirm that fact.

Message 4 of 6
skigirl916
Established Contributor

I did contact the creditor, and they straightened it out. They said they'd contact the debt collection company and make sure that they "don't do anything to affect my credit report." 

I know it can/will be corrected, but my fear is about what happens if/when it's temporarily reported.

Has anyone seen immediate AA taken when a collection pops up randomly?

Message 5 of 6
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

Not myself, but my credit has never been this clean (except for eq). Smiley Happy
Signature needs updating
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.