cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

From 558 to 696 in 11 months - How do I break 700+?

tag
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: From 558 to 696 in 11 months - How do I break 700+?

@rayy166 wrote:

Current cards:

Military Star Card $0/1800

Macys $740/2500

Best Buy $721/1000

Kay Jeweler $0/300

Dicks Sporting good $0/5000

I know, way too many store cards.

Chase Slate $0/2000

Barclays Rewards $0/2000

Discover $800/4000

Now that you know your EX FICO score. Your Disco card gives you your FICO TU score. Look under manage and you'll see your FICO score. So thats 2 FICO's. Macys and Best Buy are HP's if I remember correctly. Discover is always a SP so you can try them out. If they want to HP you they will ask first. Next would be get your util down on the Macys and especially Best Buy. Its the highest. Over 70% util is killing you. You could be at 800 in no time after paying down your balances and even some help if Disco will give you a CLI. So much for the Vantage scores. Your better off then you thought. You could get some nice cards soon. Good Luck!

Message 21 of 23
rayy166
Established Member

Thanks for the help! I do have one more questions; would you recommend closing some of my store cards, once I apply for a "higher quaility card", like u stated? OR do I just keep them all open and use them once or twice a year? I am hoping for Automatic CLI, but Im assuming I have to be activly using the cards?

I dont want my score to drop because I dont use them enough, isnt that how this works?

Message 22 of 23
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Closing a card doesnt hurt your score. It will stay on your report for 10 yrs after the closure. If its your oldest by many years yes. A few months not really. But no big deal. If you shop at those stores make a purchase and pay it off. Once better cards with better benefits start coming in. Close em. I'd go on Discovers site right now and try for a CLI. Its a SP and doesnt hurt you in anyway shape or form. This will lower your util on that card and that will help your score right now. Before anything else. Get that Best Buy below 28% or lower. Thats 10-15 points waiting for you.

Message 23 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.