Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

From 565 to 720 in 2 Months, Shooting for 800 by the end of 2020

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: From 565 to 720 in 2 Months, Shooting for 800 by the end of 2020

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/List-of-Soft-pull-PREAPPROVAL-Links-Updated-5... 

Check out those soft pull pre-approval links.

I recommend trying the links for Amex, Chase, BBVA, BBT, US Alliance, HSBC, Discover

Might want to wait for your EQ to update with the new info for some of them

Message 11 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you @Anonymous  for your advice. I really appreciate it. 

If I understand this correctly, you got 10 cards this year alone? How much space in between and why so many (please excuse my ignorance)?

In the beginning I just wanted to pick up some cards to start building some history. Credit One was the first to offer me an unsecured card and it came with a lot of stupid fees but I knew I would use it for a year and then close it. Discover offered me a secured card, I put $500 on deposit and it graduated after 7ish months and they bumped it to $2K. Cap One was easy peasy and my family loves Navy Federal so I followed advice on this board and picked up a Navy Cash Rewards and then a Platinum Visa. I added five more Visas/MC's between January-June of this year and now I will just sit back and age my file while waiting for the inquiries to drop off. I chose to apply in groups, so several inquiries would fall off at the same time. Everyone has a different game-plan and I'm pretty sure I will be making changes along the way. Time and consistancy will be my best friends at this point while I build my profile. 

I applied for cards in about four groups, about three months apart. Why so many? I honestly don't know (peer pressure lol) but I do know that they are all cards I actually use. My long game is to buy a home in a couple of years so obtaining new cards between now and then is low on my list but that's cool because I had a few app sprees with success, had some denials but I'm very comfortable with where I am 13 months after I started to work on my file.

Can't wait to see where your journey takes you in the upcoming months!! You are off to an amazing start and congrats again!! Smiley Very Happy

Message 12 of 14
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Questions:

1.)As my first credit card that is being reported will that decrease my score? 

2.)Do you think it possible to reach 800 by the end of the year?

3.) Am I missing something or should I be doing something else?

4.) My installment loan is due to end in Oct. I was thinking about getting a small SSL, immediately paying it down under 8.9%. Should I do this before my current installment loan end or should I do it after?

@Anonymous 

1) If on a derogatory score card, you will not receive a new account penalty.

2) You will need to address those derogatories for it to be possible.

3) Yes, clean up your derogatories.

4) I would not recommend short term SSL. I would only recommend 5+ year SSL if no other open installment loan present. Are you eligible for NFCU or SSFCU.

I would recommend reading the below from CreditGuyInDixie
Adding an installment loan -- the Share Secure technique
The Quest for an SSL alternative to Alliant

From SouthJamaica
NFCU SSL

From adrianaesque
Approved NFCU SSL - with detailed steps (May 2020)

Here are two institutions that have SSL which you can pay in advance to 8.9% utilization without shortening loan term:
NFCU - membership restrictions.
SSFCU - geofence.

Message 13 of 14
AllZero
Mega Contributor
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.