Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fun way to rebuild for free AND make a few dollars

tag
Springer
New Contributor

Fun way to rebuild for free AND make a few dollars

This has been my method of building positive TLs and reaping the benefits of cash back rewards while costing me virtually nothing and actually making a few dollars.  Its quite fun but takes willpower to ONLY use the rebuild card for this.

I got a secured card through Cap1 and about a year later a Cash Rewards through them as well.  Here's what I've been doing.  I'm sure most of you have a Target, Walmart, Kmart...some kind of big stores around you that LOOOOVE putting items on clearance.  Those are the stores I have closest to me anyways.  All I do is go check out the clearance items at the local stores, if I find something good I pull out the good 'ol iPhone and my eBay app, see what that exact item is selling for...most of the time they go for more than the clearance price.  I use my card and buy up a few items that I can at least break even on, go home and list them, and sell them.  First thing I do is ship it, pay my fees, then use the money I just made to pay the balance on my card.  If anything is left over it goes straight to my savings account, I dont care if its only a nickel!  If I lose a dollar, oh well its a small price to pay for that nice looking TL on the CRAs!!  Since I got my cash rewards card I'm doing this and getting all the rewards building up on my card (cant wait for that 50% bonus to kick in!!)

If I'm breaking any rules by posting this, mods please let me know, its not intentional...just trying to help others out by building, saving, and having a little fun at the same time

Enjoy!!

In The Garden Since 1/5/13

Starting Score: EQ FICO 627 CK 633 CS 630 (12/2012)
Current Score: EQ FICO-584: EX FICO (BofA, 12/17/2012): 538 :CK 578 :CS 630
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Re: Fun way to rebuild for free AND make a few dollars

I clear about $200 per month buying craigs and selling on e or buying thrift and selling on e.  We recently bought an internet sony 50' at the coast guard exchange.  Best Buy, on sale was $1199 + tax.  We paid $899 including tax.  The blu-ray player was also a savings of $30.  Picked up wine @ 4.99/bottle.  If anyone is looking to save money, this is a GREAT way to do it.  They also discount Kenmore by 20% + free delivery (no tax).  A member can take in two guests, but must pay for the purchase.  I had my cousin the cash and he pays.

I bought my pottery barn 8x10 rug on clist (pottery barn $899) for $50 because it had a tiny piece of wool missing, the size of a pencil eraser (thanks dyson vacuum).  Are you kidding me?  No problem, the ottomon covered it.  My console for the tv cost us $60, my friends husband built it and they were moving so.....for a custom made, solid wood unit (he's a cabinemaker)?  I was all over that.

DH needed a couple of local sports teams t's.....Kohl's $49, Goodwill $4.75 for three...all with the tags.  The majority of my books come from gwill on Sundays...FIFTY CENTS.  I bought our grandaughter a TOTE full of infant clothing...all unused for under $75. 

It's great to think about WHAT you need and ways to get it for less.   It has become a hobby.  I've been able to pay off a nice chunk of debt.  Between medicals offering us a cash discount, a couple of settlements, getting things paid.....we were at 30k, now were at 9ish.

Message 2 of 3
Springer
New Contributor

Re: Fun way to rebuild for free AND make a few dollars

You sound just like me lol...im ALWAYS looking for stuff on cList, unfortunately here in southern Louisiana its not as popular as it was back home in Va.  We also have a goodwill here, I've bought several books there (paperbacks 5 for $.99) as well as random goodies...my favorite is under armor and other gym clothes that are $50+ in stores for $2 apiece, those I keep though!!  I started using the card just for buying and selling because I really dont NEED to buy anything w the card and run up a balance, so I figured I would let the balance pay for itself, if that makes sense lol.  Anyways, so good so far!

In The Garden Since 1/5/13

Starting Score: EQ FICO 627 CK 633 CS 630 (12/2012)
Current Score: EQ FICO-584: EX FICO (BofA, 12/17/2012): 538 :CK 578 :CS 630
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.