Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Funny Loophole?

tag
dledo
New Contributor

Funny Loophole?

I would love to hear opinions on this...

Ok there are those of us that have received an offer in the mail for something like a 1000.00  check.  Now on back of said check id company name and in real fine print terms of cashing said check.  Usually something like " by cashing this check you certify that you will pay back such and such and blah blah blah"  So in essense your endorsement on the check is also used as a signed contract.   Now to the one that may work for us.....

What if we sent a check to whoever we want to settle with on our credit reports and along with the check we enclosed a notorized document, sent certified mail stating something along the line of " If said credit agency accepts this payment than said agency must remove any and all negative tradlines.  Also said agency can no longer sell my information and no new debt can be opened or place on my credit bureaus"  And some other legal jargon.  I thought it would be funny to turn the tide.  Think something like that would work.  Let me know.....

David

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Funny Loophole?

@dledo wrote:

I would love to hear opinions on this...

Ok there are those of us that have received an offer in the mail for something like a 1000.00  check.  Now on back of said check id company name and in real fine print terms of cashing said check.  Usually something like " by cashing this check you certify that you will pay back such and such and blah blah blah"  So in essense your endorsement on the check is also used as a signed contract.   Now to the one that may work for us.....

What if we sent a check to whoever we want to settle with on our credit reports and along with the check we enclosed a notorized document, sent certified mail stating something along the line of " If said credit agency accepts this payment than said agency must remove any and all negative tradlines.  Also said agency can no longer sell my information and no new debt can be opened or place on my credit bureaus"  And some other legal jargon.  I thought it would be funny to turn the tide.  Think something like that would work.  Let me know.....

David

Strike out has been tried many times before and it does not work. A creditor sending such an offer with terms like that for cashing the check is stupid. Lawsuits have been filed against the creditors by people who have cashed those checks arguing it isnt valid and they have won...

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Funny Loophole?

Most states have statutes related to such conditional enforsements, and they usually specify that they do not create a contractural agreement to the added terms.

You are looking for a huge legal hassle should you attempt to enforce a conditional endorsement added to a check.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.