Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GM Financial is suing me.. I think?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

GM Financial is suing me.. I think?

Hey I just had a question really weird situation here.. to make a long story short I had a repossession A few years back I have a balance from the charge off GM financial put on my credit report for around $4500, I recall roughly 2 years ago receiving a certified letter in the mail from my local courthouse with my name and GM financial is named with their attorney attempting to sue me for the debt.. very careless and ignorant your credit repair I ignored the letter and never showed up to court.. now two years later I attempt to contact GM financial because I am in a position financially to pay off the remaining balance but they referred me to this attorney’s office harvest strategy group. What’s even more odd is I do not have any judgments against me and this repossession is scheduled to fall off April of 2021.. i’m trying to figure out what is the best course of action to handle this will contacting this attorneys office and paying the balance update my reporting with GM financial and reset my clock ? Or should I just wait until April 2021 for it to fall off ?
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: GM Financial is suing me.. I think?

The big 3 bureaus no longer report judgements. Smaller ones like LexisNexis may. You can look up your info on your local courthouse website to see any lawsuits against you. That's how I found out I was sued by an ex-friend after a car accident a couple of years after the fact.

Message 2 of 6
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Hey I just had a question really weird situation here.. to make a long story short I had a repossession A few years back I have a balance from the charge off GM financial put on my credit report for around $4500, I recall roughly 2 years ago receiving a certified letter in the mail from my local courthouse with my name and GM financial is named with their attorney attempting to sue me for the debt.. very careless and ignorant your credit repair I ignored the letter and never showed up to court.. now two years later I attempt to contact GM financial because I am in a position financially to pay off the remaining balance but they referred me to this attorney’s office harvest strategy group. What’s even more odd is I do not have any judgments against me and this repossession is scheduled to fall off April of 2021.. i’m trying to figure out what is the best course of action to handle this will contacting this attorneys office and paying the balance update my reporting with GM financial and reset my clock ? Or should I just wait until April 2021 for it to fall off ?

hmmp, maybe their attorney didn't show up to court eitherSmiley Very Happy  I'd so some digging before poking the bear any further.

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 3 of 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Nothing is going to reset the clock as far as the time its allowed to be reported on your CRs. As others have suggested you want to verify with the court there really is a judgment and then work with the attorney to settle it if there is. Judgements can be renewed pretty much forever.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Awesome answers thanks folks! Ok I’ll contact my local courthouse to see if there is a judgment against me, haven’t received anything from an attorney or the court house or GM Financial since the notice to appear.. no judgements are reporting and it’s due to fall off within a year or so.. I just have a feeling this Charge off with the balance is what’s keeping me from getting into the 700 club. I was just nervous if I paid and they updated it would reset the clock and would be another 7 years on my report as “paid” now.. but thanks a million!
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just because a judgement isn’t appearing on your credit report doesn’t mean they can’t collect on it. They can garnish your wages or put a lien on your bank account.

In my state (WA) I can google “WA state court case look up” and get the ability to search my name to see if there is anything listed there with me as defendant or respondent. Maybe try that with your state (or county if state doesn’t work).
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.