cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GW/Dispute Success with BofA on deletion of lates, but Experian won't budge! Advice?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

GW/Dispute Success with BofA on deletion of lates, but Experian won't budge! Advice?

So I recently sent out another round of goodwill letters to Bank of America about 2 weeks ago for the matter of providing a goodwill adjustment to the late payments recorded on my credit files, along with initiating disputes with each CRA the week before I sent the letters out. Only this time, for the GW letters, I included documentation pertaining to my circumstances and designated certified mail for them to the BofA corporate headquarters and a few different addresses. 

Fast forward to this morning, I checked my credit reports from each CRA to encounter the majority of lates removed for TransUnion and Equifax, notably the 90-day and 120+ day lates that were keeping my FICO score down! The only exception to this was for Experian, as no changes were made whatsoever:

TU Payment History for BofATU Payment History for BofAEQ Payment History for BofAEQ Payment History for BofAEX Payment History for BofAEX Payment History for BofA

I'm not sure why these changes were not reflected on Experian's part, but I do recall that the online dispute results came in last week, pointing out that my adverse BofA account remained with no changes made. Also, I don't know whether the deleted lates from TU and EQ were due to my GW letters or the disputes, but what's weird is that I received a mail letter from TU a few days ago regarding the finished investigation of the dispute that verified BofA's payment history as accurate, showing no changes made. Yet, I see the changes today, with only 3 late payments left showing on the report. Does anyone know what to make of all of this, and whether or not Experian's reporting of the lates is correct? I thought that the CRA's reporting is supposed to be the same across the board, but if that's not the case, should I keep disputing with EX or take a different course of action?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: GW/Dispute Success with BofA on deletion of lates, but Experian won't budge! Advice?

You would not continue to dispute with the CRAs. What I would do is wait a week and see if EX updates with removals then this may give you a clue that the GW letter worked. If any dispute of inaccurate is still necessary I would do it directly to the creditor.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/Direct-dispute/td-p/2309095

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: GW/Dispute Success with BofA on deletion of lates, but Experian won't budge! Advice?

Hey @gdale6, thanks for your suggestion on that! I do agree with you on being patient and waiting to see whether any changes take place on Experian's end for the removal of the lates. My hope is that my GW letter did maybe make a difference this time around, but I'm not holding my breath. Though, one thing I did find interesting on EQ's end is that it seems like their removals were due to the online dispute I made, based upon their reinvestigation leading to my BofA closed account being "Updated", along with other information, yet the disputed information was "verified as accurate, however, information unrelated to your dispute has been updated". I'm not exactly sure what the meaning behind that wording is, but I did see that only 2 30-day lates were reported for 08/2018 and 06/2019, and 1 60-day late for 07/2019. Fortunately, my EQ FICO score and TU FICO score increased up to 727 FICO 8 and 732 FICO 8, thanks to the removal! 

Also, thanks for sharing that link to the matter of doing direct disputes with creditors. I honestly wasn't aware that this was another type of dispute. If I understand it right, is the direct dispute a more "firm" version of a goodwill letter? Both seem to be rather similar to me, but I don't know whether that's the case.

Message 3 of 5
sznthescore
Established Contributor

From my personal experience, Experian is a hard shell to crack. I was simply updating personal inforamation (address specifically) and they would not budge. Example: removing all other previous addresses from my credit report as they were undeliverable. Equifax and TransUnion complied. Experian said, they are receiving the addresses from one of my creditors, even after submitting supporting documents (Drivers License and Utility bill, etc.)  Disputing directly with creditors in your case would probably be the best bet as another contributor has mentioned.

REBUILDER CARDS

Goal: FICO 700+
Message 4 of 5
jonesh529

I am looking to send letters to BOA and others. Do you mind sharing a sample let that you used with BOA? I've heard they are hard to crack.

2/10/16
Trans- 659

Equifax - 656

Experian - 654
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.