cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GW'd Collection still showing up on Experian!?

tag
daddyaddy
Established Member

GW'd Collection still showing up on Experian!?

I had some medical accounts go to collection and I paid them in full. I wrote a GW letter to the agency and they removed the accounts...Or at least I thought they did. On TransUnion and Equifax, they dropped off, but Experian is still showing one of them. 

A loan officer at my credit union told me to dispute the entry with Experian because it is inaccurate--it is showing a balance. I called the collection agency and explained the situation to one of their staff, and he told me to dispute it with Experian, too.

But I have a couple questions...

What could happen if I dispute it with Experian? What kind of documentaton would I need to dispute it? Are there any examples of what I should write? .

Or should I write another GW letter explaining the situation to the collection agency?

Experian says it should drop off naturally in September 2013, but I'd like to get pre-qualified for a mortgage in five or six month so I really want this removed now! 

Current Scores:
TU FICO- 740 - 10/12

EQ FICO- 713 - 10/12

EX - No idea...

CK FAKO - 693

Starting Scores:
TU - 684 - 1/11/10

EX - 695 - 1/11/10

EQ - 641 - 1/11/10
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: GW'd Collection still showing up on Experian!?

I generally advise against disputing, but go ahead and do it.  They won't verify it from what I'm understanding. 

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 5
beb86
Valued Contributor

@Shogun wrote:

I generally advise against disputing, but go ahead and do it.  They won't verify it from what I'm understanding. 

+1 sometimes you have to watch the way you word the GW and make sure you include your request tohave what ever removed from ALL THREE MAJOR CRAs

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a similar thing happen to me.  I called the ca and they confirmed that they had instructed all cra's to delete the acct. and they did not know why experian had not obliged.  They sent the request to experian again and sent me a copy.  It was removed shortly after that.  If you dispute with experian, get a letter from the ca stating that the acct is closed and that they are requesting that it be deleted from your report.  Send that letter to experian.

Message 4 of 5
daddyaddy
Established Member

All are great ideas!

First I will write another GW letter to the CA asking them to remove the negative account from Experian and ask for a copy of the removal letter and evidence of my zero balance. I'll wait a while, check Experian, and then dispute if necessary with evidence.

Thanks for all the great ideas!

Current Scores:
TU FICO- 740 - 10/12

EQ FICO- 713 - 10/12

EX - No idea...

CK FAKO - 693

Starting Scores:
TU - 684 - 1/11/10

EX - 695 - 1/11/10

EQ - 641 - 1/11/10
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.