Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GW letters keep resulting in the addition of dispute comments

tag
PeacefulP
Regular Contributor

GW letters keep resulting in the addition of dispute comments

I've sent numerous GW letters to both Chase and Toyota Financial requesting the removal of a few 30 day lates. In the letters I am clear and apologetic about being late, give the circumstances of my life at the time of the delinquencies, etc.  I've even used the term "goodwill" in the letters.  Chase just updated my account as "Customer disputes account" and Toyota Financial just updated as "Customer disputes after resolution".

Has anyone else had this problem before?

Starting Score: TU 634 EQ 614 EX 648 5/20/13
Current Score: TU 631 EQ 643 EX 641 8/7/13 (All Lender Pulled)
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge!
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: GW letters keep resulting in the addition of dispute comments

It happens all the time.  Some creditors will actually tell you that is how they treat a GW letter, as a dispute.

Either write or call them and ask them to have the comments removed, you were not disputing.

Message 2 of 6
PeacefulP
Regular Contributor

That's what I did the first time Chase reported it as disputed. I called, and they removed them. Should I just expect this everytime but keep sending them?

Message 3 of 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

That is a good question.  When you talk to them ask them why they report as a dispute when you clearly stated it was not.

Message 4 of 6
PeacefulP
Regular Contributor

I just got off the phone with Toyota Financial after requesting they remove the dispute comments (they said no).  I asked why they are reporting it as disputed, even though I clearly acknowledged that the reporting was accurate.  He said anytime you request a creditor to look at how they are reporting, you're filing a dispute.  I argued that this is not true, that a dispute is exactly what it sounds like...a dispute...or disagreement with how something is being reported.  He told me if I want the dispute comments removed, I can ask the CRAs to remove them. Smiley Frustrated

I guess this is a possible negative outcome that can result from sending GWs. 

Message 5 of 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

He is wrong but yes it does happen frequently.

Since you never disputed anything and simply asked for a GW adjustment, and now they won't remove them, I would file complaints with the FTC and the BBB.  If you have copies of the letters you sent, send those in as documentation.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.