cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GW or dispute?

tag
swusew

GW or dispute?

Hi all, I'm just starting out on my credit repair journey. Before I found this site and learned about things like PFDs, I decided to settle an account with Asset Acceptance (CA). I was going through my credit report recently and noticed, in comparing it to a credit report from 2011, that the year of my DoFD for this acount changed from 2007 in 2011 to 2008 in 2013. Is this something I should dispute with the CRAs? (I can't remember if this happened with all three reports--I'll have to check my spreadsheet when I get home.) Or should I try a GW to Asset first?  I had great success with a GW to RJM Acquisitions but I gather from the board that Asset might be a different kettle of fish. Thanks for any advice!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: GW or dispute?

Changing the DOFD is illegal and can be an issue. Are you certain it was DOFD vs. DOLA or Date of First Major Delinquency?

Whether they changed it or not, I would GW now. Once you jump into legalities, then the odds of a GW acceptance go way down. I'd start with the easy part first.

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: GW or dispute?

+1 on attempting GW prior to dealing with the DOFD issue.

What must be reported as the DOFD is handled in detail in FCRA 623(a)(5), so dealing with that issue has lots of support when the time comes.

Correction of DOFD only becomes material when the exclusion date is at hand.  A date of anywhere back in 2007 would not approach its max exclusion date until next year, and thus plenty of time to skin that cat...

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.