Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GW this....support group!

tag
treski
Frequent Contributor

Re: GW this....support group!

You guys are so smart!  I have been slowly climbing my way up, after years of just pretending things away and literally not opening my bills.  It has been hard work, I have almost no debt now but some serious dings on my credit report. 

I get REALLY anxious (and shameful) speaking with creditors and admitting how awful I am.  I think I can write sincere and eloquent letters much better. 

I never thought of that! 

Thank goodness for these forums!  I will post my progress.

I literally have 19 dings on a single account.  And I don't know if I'm ready to tell you guys about the rest ... Smiley Sad

I'll keep things posted.  Today's project:  find all adresses and phone numbers and print out labels.  Tomorrow I will write letters and Thursday I will mail them.  I think Thursday will be my "mail day."  For those that do not respond and do not work with me, I suppose I will have to suck it up and grovel over the phone.  :::sigh:::

Thank you all!!!

To be continued ....
NFCU Flagship Rewards Visa $25k, USAA MC $3.5k, USAA Amex $3.5k
Message 191 of 378
treski
Frequent Contributor

Okay ... spent the evening googling every known mailing address for all of my dinged accounts.  Tomorrow I will begin the letters (groan).

I do have a question ...

Is it possible to dispute something on my credit that was put there by The County of Fairfax (aka, a tax collection).  I am in the military and do not pay taxes in the state I live.  I pay them to the state where my home of record is.  And because I move so often, I never received any notices, just MAJOR dings on my credit and collections.  I have found it difficult to contact "The County of Fairfax" and generally receive the run around.  Is this something I must handle directly with Fairfax or can I (finally) take it to the credit bureaus (not that they will be any more helpful)?

Thanks for the help.

The mission begins ....
Message 192 of 378
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

treski wrote:
Okay ... spent the evening googling every known mailing address for all of my dinged accounts.  Tomorrow I will begin the letters (groan).

I do have a question ...

Is it possible to dispute something on my credit that was put there by The County of Fairfax (aka, a tax collection).  I am in the military and do not pay taxes in the state I live.  I pay them to the state where my home of record is.  And because I move so often, I never received any notices, just MAJOR dings on my credit and collections.  I have found it difficult to contact "The County of Fairfax" and generally receive the run around.  Is this something I must handle directly with Fairfax or can I (finally) take it to the credit bureaus (not that they will be any more helpful)?

Thanks for the help.

The mission begins ....

Fairfax Co., VA? If so, I'm here too.

If this is for property tax (aka car) for Ffx Co., VA,  you do have to pay taxes if your legal residence is in the county. But if you are stationed here (Ft. Belvoir for example), but have a legal residence outside the county, you do not have to pay prop. taxes. Exception - if the car was leased within the county, then you do have to pay taxes.

You do need to handle this with the county. If you dispute, the county will only verify it.
Message 193 of 378
treski
Frequent Contributor

Is this too honest?  It is my first attempt at a GW:

5 August 2008

The CMI Group
4200 International Parkway
Carrollton, TX75007

Re:  Collection for Comcast Alexandria, acct. # XXXX1557

To Whom It May Concern:

I am writing you today regarding my account with Comcast Cable (#XXXX1557), on which you collected in October of 2006, while I was stationed in Virginia.  The purpose of this letter is to see if you’d be willing to make a goodwill adjustment on the reporting of this account with the three major credit bureaus. 

I cannot provide you with an excuse, except that I was terribly irresponsible.  I did not realize until later that contracts with creditors are promises.  Creditors trust that their clients will fulfill their side of the bargain, after all, that’s how they stay in business.  In all other areas of my life, I have always been incredibly trustworthy and credible.  I now understand that my failure to pay what I owed Comcast Cable was not only a breach of contract, but was a character flaw within me.

I am recently married and my husband and I are now interested in buying a home.  With my husband’s support, I have made vast changes in the way I handle my finances, and it is my belief that this collection no longer reflects my credit worthiness. 

I would like to stress that the information that is currently reported is indeed accurate.  I am humbly asking for a courtesy gesture of goodwill in having the credit bureaus remove this collection from my report.  Please consider that the Fair Credit Reporting Act does not require that all accounts be reported, only that any account that is reported be reported accurately.  Therefore, a company does have legal discretion and permission to remove any account it chooses from a credit report.  I’m hoping that you can do this in my case.

Your kind consideration is certainly appreciated.

Thank you,

**Quick topic change**

About Fairfax, yes it must be my car then.  I should probably PFD them then, no?

Message 194 of 378
treski
Frequent Contributor

Sorry about the enormous font size in the previous post.  Smiley Tongue

Does the following mean that I was actually collected on and there is no balance?  I was so screwed up then that I didn't pay attention enough to know if my wages were garnished.  I want to be particularly careful that I send out a PFD or GW where appropriate.  Thanks again!

Collection agency [?] Nationwide Credit Corp
Original balance [?] $174
Current balance [?]
Status [?] Paid account/was a collection account, insurance claim or government claim or was terminated for default
Message 195 of 378
treski
Frequent Contributor

bump ....
Message 196 of 378
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

treski wrote:
Sorry about the enormous font size in the previous post.  Smiley Tongue

Does the following mean that I was actually collected on and there is no balance?  I was so screwed up then that I didn't pay attention enough to know if my wages were garnished.  I want to be particularly careful that I send out a PFD or GW where appropriate.  Thanks again!

Collection agency [?] Nationwide Credit Corp
Original balance [?] $174
Current balance [?]
Status [?] Paid account/was a collection account, insurance claim or government claim or was terminated for default

If you have not done so, I'd recommend pulling your CR directly from the CRA. It'll show more info including balances. Then send a DV to establish in writing from them on how much is owed and then offer a PFD if you agree.
Message 197 of 378
treski
Frequent Contributor

Mazda will not budge.  They keep responding with something like:  "If you'd like to dispute any errors, please blah blah blah ..."

And then I respond with something like, "I'm so sorry I didn't clarify!  I'm actually asking you for a goodwill gesture, which some COs offer to their otherwise-good-standing customers.  Blah blah blah."

I had two 30-day lates years ago, and ended up paying off my entire loan early.

Bleh.
Message 198 of 378
Anonymous
Not applicable

would you share contact info for GEMB?
Message 199 of 378
Anonymous
Not applicable

Treski, do you have any updates on your GWs? So far, I've had no luck with Chrysler Financial. But, I'm not giving up! I'll annoy them into submission if need be! Smiley Very Happy

@treski wrote:
Mazda will not budge.  They keep responding with something like:  "If you'd like to dispute any errors, please blah blah blah ..."
And then I respond with something like, "I'm so sorry I didn't clarify!  I'm actually asking you for a goodwill gesture, which some COs offer to their otherwise-good-standing customers.  Blah blah blah."
I had two 30-day lates years ago, and ended up paying off my entire loan early.
Bleh.

Message 200 of 378
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.