Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Game plan on getting new cards?

tag
Azuieldrago
Frequent Contributor

Game plan on getting new cards?

So while we wait for the pandemic to slow down, I figured I could make a game plan on getting rid of my rebuilder cards and start getting into better cards. 

So far I have:

Opensky

Credit One

Indigo

Victoria's Secret   (I would like to keep this one so my daughter can use it, I guess it can be used for Bath & Body too?)

OverStock             (Unless they give me a CLI of at least a couple grand, I wont use it)

Fingerhut              (Just a padder and willing to wait until it gets closed out)

What I want:

Walmart               (Mastercard or store, doesnt matter whatever is easier to get. I shop 99.99% there)

Carecredit            (Between my daughter and I, dental and vision work needed)

Disco

Capital One          (Burned 2 cards to a total of about $1200 in my BK)

Navy Federal        (Burned $3K in BK. Do plan on paying that back to get back in good graces)

I have been taking notes on lenders as well. This is what I found so far to be average or confirmed for a BK but also YMMV.

Disco       1yr

Cap          1yr

Amex       5yr + 1m

CITI          No BK on file

Chase      No BK on file

Barclay    6 months +

Us Bank   Not worth it.

Am I looking about somewhat correct on those timeframes? I do check prequals in case a YMMV thing. I just want to get rid of the 3 cards and get into something better. So I figure while I wait for time constraints to pass, I will get a plan going instead of just going blind. Any advice or added info would be greatly appreciated.

Note: Mods, if in wrong place, please move to correct. Unsure as this is both card and rebuilding.

30 day post DC
60 days post DC
94 days post DC

INQUIRES

Store Cards
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Game plan on getting new cards?

@Azuieldrago wrote:

So while we wait for the pandemic to slow down, I figured I could make a game plan on getting rid of my rebuilder cards and start getting into better cards. 

So far I have:

Opensky

Credit One

Indigo

Victoria's Secret   (I would like to keep this one so my daughter can use it, I guess it can be used for Bath & Body too?)

OverStock             (Unless they give me a CLI of at least a couple grand, I wont use it)

Fingerhut              (Just a padder and willing to wait until it gets closed out)

In 6 months since you filed you opened 6 accounts. Too many too fast. More credit doesnt mean higher scores.

What I want:

Walmart               (Mastercard or store, doesnt matter whatever is easier to get. I shop 99.99% there)

Carecredit            (Between my daughter and I, dental and vision work needed)

Disco

Capital One          (Burned 2 cards to a total of about $1200 in my BK) You could try each month to see when they hit.

Navy Federal        (Burned $3K in BK. Do plan on paying that back to get back in good graces)

I have been taking notes on lenders as well. This is what I found so far to be average or confirmed for a BK but also YMMV.

Disco       1yr

Cap          1yr They will be the first to approve.

Amex       5yr + 1m Once they see some history. Then they open the door.

CITI          No BK on file

Chase      No BK on file

Barclay    6 months +

Us Bank   Not worth it.

Am I looking about somewhat correct on those timeframes? I do check prequals in case a YMMV thing. I just want to get rid of the 3 cards and get into something better. So I figure while I wait for time constraints to pass, I will get a plan going instead of just going blind. Any advice or added info would be greatly appreciated.

Note: Mods, if in wrong place, please move to correct. Unsure as this is both card and rebuilding.

You been here long enough to know all you need is 3 cards to get the ball rolling. You got too much in a short timeframe. So now its time to let them grow and age. But come month 11 on any fee cards. Then shut them down. You may not like you didnt get the CL or CLI you want. They are doing more good than harm for now. If you stopped at 3. Your chances would have been higher now. Although the 6 hits on your HP's and dropping of your AAoA's has to recover. And the AoYA. So chill until then. Once Cap hits. Then that will be the sign things are growing and more opportinity will come in. When approved for Cap. Wait 6 months then hit Disco. Hit the brakes for now. Cant rush it. Takes a couple yrs to hit 700. You'll get there. But enjoy what you got now.

Message 2 of 11
Azuieldrago
Frequent Contributor

@FireMedic1 we already talked about why I had to rush a bit, dont know if you remember. I only got hit with 3 HP. Credit One, Indigo and Fingerhut. The others were SP. I already know I have to wait. Just wanting a game plan when to start moving forward again. Yes, I got several cards since filing. All with lawyer approval. I haven't applied for anything since 8 Jan. Not so much worried about high scores over just getting better cards and getting rid of the AFs. I know scores, util all work towards better cards. But reaching 700 isn't a goal that I plan on reaching as a goal but more of a secondary thing. What I care about is clean files and just better cards. Get those, my scores will rise anyways. I just hate waiting with nothing to do. I like having a foundation of a plan and altering as needed. Same thing with filing my VA disibility benefits. I don't like throwing a bunch of darts at a board and seeing what sticks. When something can impact my life, I like to make plans and minimize any damage when I have to. My heart attack just solidified that believe even more. On the positive side, I do now have 6 cards with 4-6 months of age on them. Should hurt a little less when its time to close them. I am in the garden until min of Aug. I just wanted to see what plan of attack I could attempt to maximize approvals over denials and get rid of these cards. 

30 day post DC
60 days post DC
94 days post DC

INQUIRES

Store Cards
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Azuieldrago wrote:

@FireMedic1 we already talked about why I had to rush a bit, dont know if you remember. I only got hit with 3 HP. Credit One, Indigo and Fingerhut. The others were SP. I already know I have to wait. Just wanting a game plan when to start moving forward again. Yes, I got several cards since filing. All with lawyer approval. I haven't applied for anything since 8 Jan. Not so much worried about high scores over just getting better cards and getting rid of the AFs. I know scores, util all work towards better cards. But reaching 700 isn't a goal that I plan on reaching as a goal but more of a secondary thing. What I care about is clean files and just better cards. Get those, my scores will rise anyways. I just hate waiting with nothing to do. I like having a foundation of a plan and altering as needed. Same thing with filing my VA disibility benefits. I don't like throwing a bunch of darts at a board and seeing what sticks. When something can impact my life, I like to make plans and minimize any damage when I have to. My heart attack just solidified that believe even more. On the positive side, I do now have 6 cards with 4-6 months of age on them. Should hurt a little less when its time to close them. I am in the garden until min of Aug. I just wanted to see what plan of attack I could attempt to maximize approvals over denials and get rid of these cards. 

you should worry about scores too. Better scores = better cards. The more you app, the more HPs, the more likely denials or cards with toy limits. I saw this when I got card #2 (lower limit) and card #3 (even lower limit). I agree with medic above. You rushed for your own reasons, but it is time to chill. You can get good cards when you get closer to a year. I also believe medic is stating to do the prequal and not take HPs with any other the above listed creditors.

While it isn't all about scores, it is showing payment history. Consistent and timely payments and showing that for some time. That will likely increase your odds of approval and for higher limits than if you were to app now. January was only 4-5 months ago. Try to be patient and tdyst me, I know it is hard!

Trust me, it isn't what I wanted to hear and I did not like it, but it was true, and now I am not bothered with hurrying to app for the next card. It was difficult at first because who doesn't like instant gratification? 

Good luck!

Message 4 of 11
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Azuieldrago wrote:

@FireMedic1 we already talked about why I had to rush a bit, dont know if you remember. I only got hit with 3 HP. Credit One, Indigo and Fingerhut. The others were SP. I already know I have to wait. Just wanting a game plan when to start moving forward again. Yes, I got several cards since filing. All with lawyer approval. Wh I haven't applied for anything since 8 Jan. Not so much worried about high scores over just getting better cards and getting rid of the AFs. I know scores, util all work towards better cards. But reaching 700 isn't a goal that I plan on reaching as a goal but more of a secondary thing.at I care about is clean files and just better cards. Get those, my scores will rise anyways. I just hate waiting with nothing to do. I like having a foundation of a plan and altering as needed. Same thing with filing my VA disibility benefits. I don't like throwing a bunch of darts at a board and seeing what sticks. When something can impact my life, I like to make plans and minimize any damage when I have to. My heart attack just solidified that believe even more. On the positive side, I do now have 6 cards with 4-6 months of age on them. Should hurt a little less when its time to close them. I am in the garden until min of Aug. I just wanted to see what plan of attack I could attempt to maximize approvals over denials and get rid of these cards. 

This is what I'm trying to say. The higher your scores the better chance you have at obtaining the cards you want. You think I got the cards and limts in year 1 or 2 out of BK that I have now? No way. I started with a simple $1200 Cap1 Plat with Credit Steps. Thats it. I had to endure the QS1 ordeal for card #2 that started at $3000. By then my scores are what yours are at now. I remember why you did what you wanted to do. The past is the past. I'm just trying to say what you need to do to help you get what you want.

And for now. Age will and does work in your favor later on. The magic number to get your foot on the door is 700. Then you play to stay above that. You go up to 710. Get a card. Its a numbers game. Its all a game. If a poster said you do this it this way and you'll have 79k in credit limits in 4.6 yrs. Yeah right. But studying here coming up on 5 yrs. They were right. I was a lurker for 6 months before I joined. Each move was researched to no end untill I was sure I'd get what I wanted. Its not to brag. Thats how I went 11 and O on approvals. I pass on how I did it to others. They can listen to my advice or do it their way. But that siggy below this post shows it can be done. I stayed to help others. If it costs $39 a yr or 3.25 a month or .10 a day to have a better chance at a score that will get me better cards. Its worth it.

Message 5 of 11
BmoreBull
Established Contributor

All of us that are rebuilding have a tendency to rush and be impatient with the process. It can be really hard. Especially when you first start to see your scores go up. The first reaction is, oh now I may be able to get this card or that card. But as stated above, too much, too fast, and the lenders can apply the brakes for you. We all come here for advice and sometimes that advice is what we need to hear, not what we want to hear. But if we had known the right steps to take on our own , we wouldn’t be on a forum about rebuilding credit. I didn’t want to hear that I should garden, but if that’s what it takes to get to the score I want, then so be it. Patience and time are probably going to be our best friends through our rebuilds.

Starting Fico Scores:November 2019

Current Fico Scores: January 6, 2021
Goal Scores: 700 across all three
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I feel you, the patience aspect is the hardest for me.  I am reading and learning everyday, looking at the other posts and how they continued on thier journeys with patience and time being HUGE influencers in this credit game.  I want big cards, amex, discover, chase, but I know that I have to play with what I have, NFCU, VS, Fingerhut and self lender.  This is where i am and I am ok with it, I have to be ok with it.  I know I will get there sooner than later if I just wait this thing out.

Message 7 of 11
Azuieldrago
Frequent Contributor

My apologizes, I don't think I was clear with my intent of my post. I know that I have to garden. Have zero problem with that at all. Honestly I want that Diamond and zero inquries. I don't want any added unless its an actual betterment to me. The Aug timeframe I listed is for a possible vehicle only. I am currently borrowing my parents spare Jeep after my truck engine went solid. What I mean by scores, I understand they can get me better limits and such. I am not a credit limit or card chaser. A walmard card could be $500, Carecredit is the only one where about $10k is the highest I want just so it can cover mine and kids teeth and vision. The rest could literally be $2-4k spread out over 2-3 cards with a score of 650s. I know what needs to be done, was just looking for data points on when it would be appropriate to start prequaling with earnest, which cards to put in a prespective order and which cards to ditch first. (Other than ones with AF) but maybe for reason I don't know or even get a card I didnt think about that would be worth it. I am more laid back to when it comes to my credit score. As long as its healthy, well as much as it can be with a BK on it. I don't really care what my scores are. As FireMedic stated, I am here to learn and to help others too. I know what needs to be done, just not sure on the specifics of those cards are that am aiming for. I do take what everyone says and see if it can apply to my situation and ask for clarification if I can't and see what is needed to modify it so it will. To be clear, I have zero intention of applying for anything anytime soon (except for possible vehicle). Just wanted advice on when to potentially start trying and possible spacing. Along with possible order to attempt. Basically, instead of trying every 2 weeks, I can set calender reminders and just roll until then and check on those reminders. Basically, trying to get some sort of system. Ok, think OCD planning. Blame the military for that. LOL. PTSD coupled with OCD can have its really annoying parts. Well what I have anyways. 

Ok, sorry about the rambling. Overthinking while being safe at home AKA BOOORRRREEEED and lack of sleep. 

30 day post DC
60 days post DC
94 days post DC

INQUIRES

Store Cards
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Azuieldrago 

In regards to CareCredit, you could probably just do with dental insurance. I got a individual PPO (35/mo) that saved me a fair amount more than I paid into so far.

Before I had the insurance coverage, my dentist slapped me with a $650 bill for 1 tooth procedure... that went on my CareCredit that they shilled me to open. After I had the full coverage on my insurance, 3 teeth cost me less than 400.

Most dentists try to take advantage of the uninsured by offering "discounts," which are still marked up above insurance-negotiated rates. Then they can either offer you a pay over time or sell you CareCredit :/

For vision, you can go to large companies rather than practices and get better rates for exams and whatnot.  It's much more affordable to buy eyeglasses online as well.

Message 9 of 11
Azuieldrago
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous , I have dental and vision through work but its to cover co-pays and procedures not covered. Braces for my daughter. A bunch of dental with a want of implants for my rear teeth and I refuse partial dentures. And sometime this winter if possible, Lasik. Been in glasses for about 26 yrs. Done with that and contacts. Plus I have a soon to be 4 yr old despite brushing his teeth. Like literally loves to brush his teeth, still managed to get a cavity. Just don't know when its a good idea to apply with a BK and 2 Sync cards IIB. With no Prequal to try, have to find as accurate info as I can to plan accordingly for.

30 day post DC
60 days post DC
94 days post DC

INQUIRES

Store Cards
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.