Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gardening....

tag
FICONCLINED71
Established Member

Gardening....

So.....I filed Ch 7 BK 2/21 and was discharged 6/21.   The first card I received after discharge was a Verve card for $500w/AF,  then NFCU nRewards Secured Card for $200 w/no AF.  Then a few months later Ollo Rewards for $1000 w/ no AF.  Fast Forward...after 6 months Verve increased from $500 to $1000 w/AF, NFCU Secured Card graduated from $200 to Cash Rewards Card for $2000 w/no AF.  Ollo Rewards just increased from $1000 to $1300.  I called Verve to see if I could waive the AF.  They said no.  Plus they were charging AF plus a monthly maintainence fee.  So I paid Verve off and closed.  So that means I lost $1000 of my credit.  So now it is $3300 instead of $4300 but I do not regret closing the Verve card because I feel it has served it's purpose.  My goal is not to pay any annual fees for credit cards.

Now I had Capital One previously but I burned them for $2300 in my BK.  I completed the preapproval and I was preapproved for the Capital One Platinum and QuickSilver w/$39 AF.  I am just wondering if I should even apply....  I had Discover It Secured Card in 2019 and had $400 on it. Always paid on time and was never late.  I had to close it becuase they asked for my tax info and I had not filed my taxes in 2018 & 2019.  (This was prior to my Ch 7 BK 2/21).   Every time I do a preapproval with them, I keep receiving this error message:  STATUS OF EXISTING/PRIOR DISCOVER CARD ACCOUNT.  So I called them and I spoke to an agent and he advised that it was probably because I did not provide my tax info. But my taxes were not completed.

I am just trying to think of ways of improving my credit.....Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Gardening....

Is everything included in the BK reporting accurately on your reports?

As far as improving your scores, if you want to try and get a third card, you could go ahead and do so, maybe a Citi or US Bank secured, or I'd take Cap One up on the Platinum offer. After a few months, you could probably upgrade it to a no-AF QS with 1.5% cashback. Note, however, that this card will most likely be "bucketed," meaning the credit limit growth will be very limited/nonexistent. But, it can still be used as a stepping stone until your scores recover.

The only other thing you can do, really, is just be patient and give your BK time. It's still VERY recent in credit terms. Over time the sting will fade, and as long as there are no missteps along the way, your scores will slowly recover.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 5
FICONCLINED71
Established Member

Thank you so much.

Yes Credit report is very accurate. 

Also I just joined PenFed and I have not applied for anything yet from them.  I did open a checking and savings.  I started to try for a credit card but was afraid of denial.  

I have Navy Fed and I have been with them for almost 7 years. I did a product change from the Cash Rewards card to the More Rewards AMEX card which I love. 

Message 3 of 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

I would not even bother going thru taxes for a secured card or any card for that matter. I would go ahead and try to get the Cap-1 card you need 3 revolvers for max Fico gains. Could also check out local CUs to see if they are willing to work with you... Synchrony Bank has some cards you might get if they fit your spending (Verizon, Lowes, etc) this bank is willing to work with those who have filed BK and even burned them in same BK.

Message 4 of 5
righthererightnow
Frequent Contributor

I second the advice on Capitol One. They were part of my BK but they took me back. They were the only ones to really take me back, and their unsecured card literally helped me rebuild. I'm still rebuilding, but that card saved everything for me. Highly recommend them, and digging deep into how you got there in the first place (I still have to keep it in mind, stay vigilent myself, i'm working on this).

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.