cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Garnishment - New State - Judgement from Old State, Lawyer Not Barred in New State

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Garnishment - New State - Judgement from Old State, Lawyer Not Barred in New State

So, I owe some money to Capital One - totally agree that I owe the money, ex was unemployed for a long time, recent divorce am now trying to get everything settled. My new employer in new state (Georgia) received a garnishment notice from my old state (WA). I called the old firm that had handled the judgment and they said they sent the file back to Cap One because they are not barred in my new state.  I have called Capital One and set up a payment and told them I plan on paying that amount until it its paid off.  Will I still be garnished based on the judgement from Washington or will they need to get a new judgement in Georgia since they are not barred here.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Garnishment - New State - Judgement from Old State, Lawyer Not Barred in New State

The judgement creditor must first present the judgment issued by state A to a court in state B and request that it be "domesticated" in state B, which means that the court in state B recognizes it as if it had been awarded and enforceable in their state.

It takes a bit of time, but is usually only a pro forma matter.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Garnishment - New State - Judgement from Old State, Lawyer Not Barred in New State

Thank you.  Would they have notified my employer not to Garnish?

Got it, so I'm assuming my best bet in the mean time is to contact Capital One to see if I can arrange a payment plan with them. 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.