Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Garnishment

tag
phenom880
Established Member

Garnishment

Can a debt that is 10 years old come back onto your CR if after 10 years they now decied to garnish your wages to collect?

Started my rebuild in 2013 with 500ish scores
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Garnishment

Message 2 of 6
phenom880
Established Member

They got a judgement I was just worried that now it was going to pop back up on my CR. Also I think the statute of limitations on collecting debt in missouri is ten years on a written contract(apartment lease) ...I think this might be over

Message 3 of 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Judgments in your state can be revived.  But if it isn't and 10 years from date of filing have passed, they cannot garnish your wages or collect.  It is presumed to be satisfied at the 10 year mark.

Yes, written contracts are 10 years for money or property.

When did all this happen?

Message 4 of 6
phenom880
Established Member

last friday there was a garnishment on my paycheck stub. That was the first i knew about it,had to contact corporate to find out what was going on. I was never served with papers or knew i had a court date...I have contacted a lawyer i know here in town but havent heard back from him yet

Message 5 of 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Good luck.  You should be able to have it vacated if you weren't properly served and your money returned.  If the attorney doesn't get back to you by Monday, let us know what state you are in.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.