cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General questions regarding a couple of things.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

General questions regarding a couple of things.

I got my FICO score here last year, but never even bothered to check out the forums. Oh, what did I miss out on?! Any how, I was just checking my credit report and I only have two negatives now. Luckly the others hit their SOL and seven years passed...painfully slow.

I have a negative hit on a Verizon Wireless phone bill I did not pay quite a while back. I can only assume that I stopped paying them and let the service be canceled. This is what it shows:

TransUnion:
Opened - Aug 2003
Last Acitvity - Not Reported
Closed - Mar 2005

Equifax:
Opened - Aug 2003
Last Activity - Sep, 2004
Closed - Not Reported

Experian:
Opened - Aug 2003
Last Activity - Mar, 2005
Closed - Not Reported

No recent payment history shows up on the TransUnion and Equifax reports, but Experian is still showing collections. I also noticed that Experian is reporting an 'OK' on two months this year. Is this a way to make it stay on my credit longer or maybe credit collectors passing it onto another agency?

I thought about attempting to use the Pay for Delete letter that was posted here, but I was curious how much of the credit can they delete? I'd assume the current collection agency could only remove their credit marks correct? So if it had been passed on 4 or 5 times, I'd just get the most recent marks taken off by the current collection agency?

I just owe them $83 and I'm not even sure if it's worth taking care of this late down the road as it shouldn't be on there for more than two years, but for that little amount I figured I might as well get it taken off rather than have them hit me every month.

On another note:
Also, I have an old credit card that I never used. I think I destroyed it when I got it long ago. It had a $2,000 limit on it. Should I try and get this closed to get it off my record?

I have no other credit cards, except for an AMEX that my dad opened. He had me added as an "Authorized User" and I get credit for it, but it has a credit limit of $20,000. He has perfect credit, so I'm not worried about it affecting my credit, but I know that's a high credit limit to have, so I think I should close out the $2,000 card as it is just added to my total credit limits (too much hurts right?). Correct me if I'm wrong, because I don't know a whole lot about this stuff.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: General questions regarding a couple of things.

Who is reporting the Verizon bill?

Only the OC and one CA can report at the same time. Do you have multiple CA reporting?

Yes, if the CA accepts a PFD, they only erases their entry, not the OC's entry.

As for the CC, is it still reporting every month? Positive side of leaving it open is that it will remain as long as it is open, closed positive accounts remain 10 years from closed date. However, I'd be worried that someone would get ahold of this account and start using it.
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know if multiple CA's are reporting on the Verizon account. When I goto the collections tab for Experian or any of the other agencies they list no collections. TransUnion is the only one that reports the contact information for the CA.

As for the credit card... I don't know if it's actually doing me any good or not. Experian shows the account as "This is an account in good standing", but under Recent Payment History all the squares are white indicating "Not Open". Equifax shows the Verizon account as "Too new to rate" and has nothing under the payment history.

I don't think I've ever even gotten a statement for this card and it has never held a balance. It was originally opened in 2002.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

How many times does the Verizon account appear on each report?

ChrisHa wrote:
I don't know if multiple CA's are reporting on the Verizon account. When I goto the collections tab for Experian or any of the other agencies they list no collections. TransUnion is the only one that reports the contact information for the CA.

As for the credit card... I don't know if it's actually doing me any good or not. Experian shows the account as "This is an account in good standing", but under Recent Payment History all the squares are white indicating "Not Open". Equifax shows the Verizon account as "Too new to rate" and has nothing under the payment history.

I don't think I've ever even gotten a statement for this card and it has never held a balance. It was originally opened in 2002.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm sorry. The Verizon account is reported once on each of the reports.
Message 5 of 6
makeynik
Regular Contributor

I sent a PFD letter to Verizon and they sent me back a letter saying that it was verified and that as they are not a collection agency, they did not have to abide by certain laws, etc...but no response to the PFD...
Also, then my CR was updated by Verizon with a 30 day installment....

I WANT to get this off my report and will pay it...anyone have good luck reaching someone there?
6/30/08 TU 441 EQ 425 EX 513
8/01/08 TU 499 EQ 488 EX 489
8/23/08 EQ 556
9/04/08 EQ 567
11/14/08 TU 531, EQ 582, EX 509
12/29/08 EQ 620 (yea!) EX 546 TU 555
1/17/2009 TU 568 EQ 620 EX 584, 4/15/09 TU 506, EQ 612
5/24/09 TU 558, EQ 646
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.