Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting OC to recall a collection

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Getting OC to recall a collection

I have 4 medical collections that I would like off my reports.

What steps should I take to try and get the OC to recall the debt? One of them is close to $700. Would they be willing to recall it for a payment plan possibly?

Do I just call and ask them to recall it, if insurance can't be billed? The $700 collection is for an ER visit. The others are just doctor bills.

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Getting OC to recall a collection

Does the original creditor still own the debt, or was it sold to the debt collector?

"Recall" of a collection is the termination of assigned collection authority given to the debt collector before you pay the original creditor.

Many creditors are reluctant to terminate their use of a debt collector prior to actual payment of the debt, which must be done in order to then get the collection deleted.  They are then relying on your promise to pay, and many hire debt collectors to avoid such hassles.

If you are not offering full payment, but rather asking for their agreement to a payment plan, then there is increased probability that they wont get the entire amount, and thus they are more likely to agree to termination of their debt collector if you offer payment in full.

Call them and simply ask if they are willing to terminate their assignment of collection authority to the reporting debt collector before you send payment to the creditor.

If they agree, then CRA policy requires the debt collector to then delete their reported collection, but only if their collection authority was terminated with the debt remaining unpaid.

Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

So, I don't need to pay the OC first? Or the CA will not have to delete their report?

@RobertEG wrote:

Does the original creditor still own the debt, or was it sold to the debt collector?

"Recall" of a collection is the termination of assigned collection authority given to the debt collector before you pay the original creditor.

Many creditors are reluctant to terminate their use of a debt collector prior to actual payment of the debt, which must be done in order to then get the collection deleted.  They are then relying on your promise to pay, and many hire debt collectors to avoid such hassles.

If you are not offering full payment, but rather asking for their agreement to a payment plan, then there is increased probability that they wont get the entire amount, and thus they are more likely to agree to termination of their debt collector if you offer payment in full.

Call them and simply ask if they are willing to terminate their assignment of collection authority to the reporting debt collector before you send payment to the creditor.

If they agree, then CRA policy requires the debt collector to then delete their reported collection, but only if their collection authority was terminated with the debt remaining unpaid.

Message 3 of 19
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

What steps should I take to try and get the OC to recall the debt? One of them is close to $700. Would they be willing to recall it for a payment plan possibly?

Do I just call and ask them to recall it, if insurance can't be billed? The $700 collection is for an ER visit. The others are just doctor bills.

Did you have insurance?

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

They may be willing to, if you can pay a substantial amount upfront to show you're serious.

My total collections to my OC was 1,025 and was able to get them to recall the dept for a down payment of $600.
Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, but I am with a different provider now.

@sjt wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Did you have insurance?

Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

This gives me hope. Thank you.

3/4 I can easily PIF.

The 4th one ($698) I wouldn't be able to PIF right away.

Do I need them to recall it before I pay them? So, the CA has to delete it?

Edit: Typo

Message 7 of 19
simplegirl
Valued Contributor

Yes you want to get it recalled before payment or the debt collector won’t have to remove the collection they can just update it to zero.

Starting Score: 494 503 521
Current Score: 503 507 507 2/19
Goal Score: 680

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Goals:

Get First Home in Summer 2025
Message 8 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

They're gonna need payment before they'll recall anything, plus you won't see immediate results anyway.

Don't forget credit monitoring sites only update about once a month so you wont see the effect of anything removed until it updates next.
Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

As posted above and as I have seen from other posts, if you pay them the CA doesn't have to remove the account. Just update it to paid with $0 balance.

@Anonymous wrote:
They're gonna need payment before they'll recall anything, plus you won't see immediate results anyway.

Don't forget credit monitoring sites only update about once a month so you wont see the effect of anything removed until it updates next.

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.