cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting a Paid off sprint collection removed?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Getting a Paid off sprint collection removed?

I had a bill that I paid before knowing about pay for delete with sprint. It was being reported on my CRs by Diversified consultant , but sprint accepted my payment directly without issue. After paying, the collection was then simply updated on my CRs as being paid in full still reported by Diversified consultant. I read somewhere here about people having chat with sprint reps asking if their account was still in collections after paying, and when getting a no, somehow using this to get the paid collections reporting off of their CR.

What should I do? Should I try just sending a goodwill letter to sprint? should I send one to diversified consultants? Mail/fax/email? any specific executive office info on sprint that may be beneficial to me. Although the chat transcript thing may mean absolutely nothing given the wording of everything, maybe it can in some way benefit my efforts to clear this paid collections from my reports?

EDITED to delete transcript

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
seap74
Established Member

Re: Getting a Paid off sprint collection removed?

If you paid the OC directly, with no involvment from the CA, there are some steps you can take that I found on another board. The first step would be to just dispute the paid off collection with the CRAs simply stating "the account has been closed and returned to the Original creditor.". Then the CA really has no legal right to report. I just tried this last week and already I have it deleted from one CRA, I expect all 3 to be removed soon. 

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@seap74 wrote:

If you paid the OC directly, with no involvment from the CA, there are some steps you can take that I found on another board. The first step would be to just dispute the paid off collection with the CRAs simply stating "the account has been closed and returned to the Original creditor.". Then the CA really has no legal right to report. I just tried this last week and already I have it deleted from one CRA, I expect all 3 to be removed soon. 

initially, my plan was to pay the OC, therefore they would retract the debt from the CA and I could dispute. Well, CA simply updated as paid, and when I disputed, it came back as meeting necessary guidelines. I did dispute online though, and I know sometimes, online/phone call disputes don't work as well as in writing. But, if there is a beter more proven way to get this removed(like a GW letter) I would rather go that route than to keep trying to dispute different ways, getting the CA mad and pretty much ruining any chances I have of getting it removed( if possible to remove at all, and they actually have a heart rather the OC or CA to get it taken off my CRs in the first place).

Message 3 of 9
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

If the collection agency still had collection authority when you paid the account all they are required to do is to update the account to paid with a zero balance. Disputing it as 'returned to the OC' isnt valid. Your only option now is GW letters to the CA asking them to remove the account.
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@rmduhon wrote:
If the collection agency still had collection authority when you paid the account all they are required to do is to update the account to paid with a zero balance. Disputing it as 'returned to the OC' isnt valid. Your only option now is GW letters to the CA asking them to remove the account.

Now, given that the OC was willing without issue to accept the payment and had the CA update it as paid, doesnt it mean they still had the didn't and didnt sell it but only allowed the CA to try and collect on it? With this being said, would it be best me going with GW lettters for the OC or the CA? I don't think I could get the CA to budge(I really hope this not to be the case) but I think sprint **may** be more lenient in this situation?

Far as GW letters, best way? Fax, Email,  or shold I just snailmail them off every week or so, and to who? The business address on file with the CRs? Any specific department or anyting I should be looking to get these GW letters to?

Message 5 of 9
seap74
Established Member

I sent you a pm.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the message. If the process did not work though, wouldn't it almost certainly kill any possibility I have with a GW letter by angering the OC/CA?

Sorry if i can not post links here, but this was the link he sent me. If the member would like for me to remove it, just let me know(he didn't post it as he too was unsure if he could) if any mods do not allow links to be posted like this, feel free to remove, and again I apologize!

(Mod Cut-Links to that site are off limits on myFico they are considered a credit repair site and as such cannot be linked)

Message 7 of 9
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

If the CA had collection authority at the time the bill was paid to the OC they have the right to update to a paid collection. What you should have done was ask them to recall the collector in exchange for full payment then they would have had to delete their entry per CRA rules. Now you need to issue a GW letter to the reporting CA asking that the TL be removed.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

removed

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.