cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting old info removed

Aviator2022
New Visitor

Getting old info removed

About 8 years ago we hit a big financial road bump and we defaulted on two credit cards and two personal lines of credit.  I believe the last payment made was just over 7 years ago (December 2014).  I have no statements remaining (not very smart) and am afraid of speaking with the collection agencies for fear of re-tolling the statute of limitations.

I have never, in writing or verbally, acknowledged the debt.   In my state of South Carolina, they cannot sue 3 years after the first missed payment was due or the debt was acknowledged in writing...so I am OK there.  

But I want to ask to have the negative items removed.  Do I just send written information to the credit bureau that the debts are older than 7 years?  I am afraid this move on my part will count as written acknowledgment of the existence of the debts which would allow the creditors to toll the 3 yr statute of limitations on suing.

At one point maybe 3-4 years ago, it was sold to an agency who resisted it as new debt on one of my CRs.  I will need to pull my EQ and EX reports.  My TU report does not show it as that new.

on a side note, about 6 month ago, I noticed a remarkable increase in creditors calling on the debt as it approached the 7 year mark.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Re: Getting old info removed

@Aviator2022 wrote:

About 8 years ago we hit a big financial road bump and we defaulted on two credit cards and two personal lines of credit.  I believe the last payment made was just over 7 years ago (December 2014).  I have no statements remaining (not very smart) and am afraid of speaking with the collection agencies for fear of re-tolling the statute of limitations.

I have never, in writing or verbally, acknowledged the debt.   In my state of South Carolina, they cannot sue 3 years after the first missed payment was due or the debt was acknowledged in writing...so I am OK there.  

But I want to ask to have the negative items removed.  Do I just send written information to the credit bureau that the debts are older than 7 years?  I am afraid this move on my part will count as written acknowledgment of the existence of the debts which would allow the creditors to toll the 3 yr statute of limitations on suing.

At one point maybe 3-4 years ago, it was sold to an agency who resisted it as new debt on one of my CRs.  I will need to pull my EQ and EX reports.  My TU report does not show it as that new.

on a side note, about 6 month ago, I noticed a remarkable increase in creditors calling on the debt as it approached the 7 year mark.

What is the removal date on your TU report? 

Message 2 of 3
Aviator2022
New Visitor

Re: Getting old info removed

Both last payments were the same month, but one states estimated date of removal is 7/22 and the other 11/22

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.