Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting secured cards....advice?

tag
anackerman
Established Member

Getting secured cards....advice?

My next step in my credit repair is getting a secured credit card. I would like to open 2-3 cards right now. Any feedback on that? I've read that the best option is to open 1 card, let it age 6 mos then open another. However, I will be spending the next 12 months repairing and rebuilding my credit and not applying for loans or anything of that sort. I am planning on applying for an unsecured card in 6-9 mos. Currently, I have no open revolving credit. Here's what I want to do and my reasons for doing so:

1) Open 2 secured cards now. From what I understand, that should drop my score a little because multiple new accts will drop my AAoA...but after 12 months of rebuilding, it shouldn't matter much, right? In a year, I would like to show 2 revolving lines with 12 months positive history. Good idea? Neither of the cards I'm applying for will graduate to an unsecured card. I can't find any secured cards that graduate that I'll get approved for.

2) Add money to 1 of the secured cards to increase limit each month. Of course, keeping my util under 9% with 1 card and 0% with the other

3) In 6-9 months (or longer if my scores aren't where I'd like), apply for an unsecured card in order to have 3 revolving lines of credit

4) In 18 mos, open another unsecured card then close the secured card that I didn't make limit increases on. I would like to close the secured card because it won't graduate to unsecured and I'd like to eventually get my money back.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Starting Score: EQ 511 (1/20/13)
Current Score: EQ 633
Goal Score: 680
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Kevin5974
Frequent Contributor

Re: Getting secured cards....advice?

Great plan. I personally used Applied Banks Secured card. It required a $500 deposit but it was relatively easy and didnt look like a secured card. It was 0% interest but had a monthly fee. I was okay with the fee but didnt like the paying interest on my own money lol.

Have you thought about getting a secured loan and using those funds to open the secured card? This gives you an installment loan as well Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 475
Current Score: 649
Goal Score: 690

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 7
anackerman
Established Member

@Kevin5974 wrote:
Great plan. I personally used Applied Banks Secured card. It required a $500 deposit but it was relatively easy and didnt look like a secured card. It was 0% interest but had a monthly fee. I was okay with the fee but didnt like the paying interest on my own money lol.

Have you thought about getting a secured loan and using those funds to open the secured card? This gives you an installment loan as well Smiley Happy

Thanks for the reply! I'll look into Applied Bank and check out what they have to offer.

I have thought about getting a secured loan, however, I currently have the money to get secured cards with decent limits and I have 6 student loans reporting, so I don't want to go that route unless I have to. I'm finally starting this whole "paying my bills" thing and don't want to overextend my discipline by opening up a loan that I don't need or I don't feel would benefit me. That's one less payment to fall through the cracks lol

Message 3 of 7
mspiggybank
New Contributor

Capital one was pretty easy to get. The let me open with a $200 deposit even though I had an old Cap1 collections on my report from 4 years ago.
Message 4 of 7
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Why don't you make a post on the CC forum about your situation.  Those guys over there are gurus with credit cards.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 5 of 7
anackerman
Established Member

@mspiggybank wrote:
Capital one was pretty easy to get. The let me open with a $200 deposit even though I had an old Cap1 collections on my report from 4 years ago.

Really? That's great to know! I keep seeing them recommended but I haven't even bothered to apply because I just paid off a collection from them. I'll research to see if anyone has had any success with less than a few years between paying a collection and opening a secured card.

Message 6 of 7
maluba
Regular Contributor

Also, check out your local credit unions. Ours (if you're in North AL, it's Redstone Federal) doesn't do a credit inquiry and it just found out that it reports unsecured, so it shows up like a regular CC. You would need an account first, of course.

Starting Score: 588
Current Score: 610
Goal Score: 650

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.