Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting the right mix

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Getting the right mix

I am rebuilding and currently doing credit repair. I have a 7 m/o car loan that I am perfect on. Now I want to branch out, and am looking at getting 1-2 secured accounts. Discover won't approve me until some of my disputes have cleared, so I am looking at Open Sky (no hard pull) and Wells Fargo (who I have a 6 year banking relationship with). I have also heard of something called a credit builder or self-loan, where you make payments into an account until it matures, then the funds release after you have established 6-12 months of good payment history. I am wondering what other options may be worth considering. I am currently in the low-to-mid 500's (used to be in the low 400's!), and am trying to get to 640-650 and qualify for an FHA mortgage sometime next year. Any suggestions to help me get there are appreciated!
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

Re: Getting the right mix

You already have an instalment loan (the auto loan) so you don't need to get another loan unless you just want to. For the right mix you'll need at least 3 credit cards (even if you just start with 1). Depending on what baddies you have and the amount of them, you might qualify for an unsecured Cap1 card. Try their prequal page and see. Avoid Credit One and First Premier.
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Getting the right mix

Cap 1 isn't ready for me yet, probably for the same reason as Discover...may need to give it 30 days. I actually have a Fingerhut account too, but haven't really utilized it yet. It's not showing as an open tradeline yet but maybe putting something small on that could and paying off right away could help me out too.
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.