cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GoodWill Letter Success on paid collections!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

GoodWill Letter Success on paid collections!

Hi All,

I am happy as heck as I'm sitting in my office at work, pretending to work. I sent 2 letters to Portfolio Recovery last week to hopefully remove 4 collection accounts I paid off last year. I got an alert email this morning from Experian so I signed on fast. Credit went up 17 points and the 4 collections are gone! I have to wait to see if the other 2 update. Good way to start my friday! Smiley Very Happy

6 REPLIES 6
Zolomon
Regular Contributor

Re: GoodWill Letter Success on paid collections!

Portfolio Recovery actually removed their collections? Smiley Surprised Yeah, I'm going to need copy of your goodwill letters. Congrats Smiley Happy

Personal cards:

Business cards:

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Zolomon wrote:

Portfolio Recovery actually removed their collections? Smiley Surprised Yeah, I'm going to need copy of your goodwill letters. Congrats Smiley Happy

Thanks. I googled and found an example one and just edited it to fit my specific need. I can copy and paste it but I'm not sure if that is allowed or not. I'm still a newbie here. 

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I came here and signed up today to ask about this very thing. I have an old medical bill, the total balance of which was less than 200 dollars, which I paid off almost three years ago, and it is still on my report as a negative mark. I read about goodwill letters for getting companies to remove old marks, but found it hard to believe it can work, because of the amount of time I've spent working in corporate/business environments. I mean, a snail mail letter? I just imagine it getting thrown away without consideration. I guess what I want to know is if you literally just mailed something to the corporate address? 

I would dispute it as an error, considering that when I resolved the very small balance I pointed out that I had never received any statement of the bill. It was leftover money owed after insurance, and we moved while insurance sorted it I guess. Although I paid it off nearly three years ago, the debt was incurred over 5 years ago. Just seems pretty unfair to still be suffering a negative mark for it. But there's no way I can possibly prove that 5 years ago I didn't get billed for something I paid off 3 years ago, so I'm hoping that since it's paid they'll just be nice about it.

Am I dreaming?

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

by the way I should have said congratulations to you on your success. I know it feels great to make an effort and have it pay off.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I came here and signed up today to ask about this very thing. I have an old medical bill, the total balance of which was less than 200 dollars, which I paid off almost three years ago, and it is still on my report as a negative mark. I read about goodwill letters for getting companies to remove old marks, but found it hard to believe it can work, because of the amount of time I've spent working in corporate/business environments. I mean, a snail mail letter? I just imagine it getting thrown away without consideration. I guess what I want to know is if you literally just mailed something to the corporate address? 

I would dispute it as an error, considering that when I resolved the very small balance I pointed out that I had never received any statement of the bill. It was leftover money owed after insurance, and we moved while insurance sorted it I guess. Although I paid it off nearly three years ago, the debt was incurred over 5 years ago. Just seems pretty unfair to still be suffering a negative mark for it. But there's no way I can possibly prove that 5 years ago I didn't get billed for something I paid off 3 years ago, so I'm hoping that since it's paid they'll just be nice about it.

Am I dreaming?

Hi,

Yes all I did was type up a 2 letters and mailed them off. I'ved read on this forum that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. What do you have to lose? And if it hadn't worked, I would send the letters again. I tried to dispute my collections 2 years ago before I paid them and they always came back that they were valid. So I just set up payment plans and paid them since I been trying to fix my credit. It wasn't until I stumbled on to this site that I learned about GoodWill letters. 

So try it, whats the worst that could happen? Goodluck!

Message 6 of 7
Civil
Regular Contributor

Can you send me that sample letter please

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.