Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Goodwill Letter followed up with a Dispute Form

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Goodwill Letter followed up with a Dispute Form

Hi there!

I was hoping for some help navigating my next step after writing a goodwill letter. Simple backstory: I've had this credit card through a local bank since 2008. In November & December of 2016, I had two 30-day-late payments. Prior to that, and since then, I've had a perfect, on-time history with this bank. This past Tuesday, I sent off a couple goodwill letters & e-mails. One of the e-mails prompted a phone call on Wednesday. A gentleman called, and basically said, "Thanks for your business, but unfortunately, there's not much we can do, as we have to accurately report everything. If you'd like, you'll probably receive a dispute form in the mail in a couple days and you can fill that out and send it back."

I received a dispute form in the mail today. Attached to it was a letter from the bank, with the following note: "Thank you for your recent request for validation of the credit bureaus used to validate your account. We are happy to respond to your request, but we need a formal submission of Credit Report Direct Dispute Form. Please fill out the enclosed form and returne in the business reply envelope supplied."

Should I dispute it? Does it seem like he was suggesting I dispute it? And the note attached to the dispute form...seems wordy (I double checked what I typed for accuracy). The late payments are accurate, but obviously I'd love to have them removed. Thoughts? Advice?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Goodwill Letter followed up with a Dispute Form

No one can advocate that you dispute valid credit data its against forum rules. I would not waste time with it as it will just update with the same info since they say they wont remove them and in some cases new lates appear. I would put them on a schedule to get a GW letter every so often, with a lot of banks the older the lates are the better.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, sure, that's why I was asking. I wouldn't dispute correct information as it compromises the system & sort of defeats the purpose. I was mostly curious as to why I would receive a dispute form in response to a goodwill letter in which I acknowledged & took responsibility for my late payments or why the person I spoke to would suggest I fill it out. 

Message 3 of 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Well, sure, that's why I was asking. I wouldn't dispute correct information as it compromises the system & sort of defeats the purpose. I was mostly curious as to why I would receive a dispute form in response to a goodwill letter in which I acknowledged & took responsibility for my late payments or why the person I spoke to would suggest I fill it out. 

Some companies consider a GW request as you disputing so that is most likely whey they sent you the form, its also a way to try and get you off their back. There is no law that says they have to report anything but if they do it has to be accurate, adding an NR in a month that may have a late doesnt mean its false info either it just means they are choosing to not report anything for that month.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.