Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Goodwill Proof Read??

tag
Munchkinerin
Established Member

Goodwill Proof Read??

About 1 year ago I basically became extremely overwhelmed and disorganized in my life. I opened a JCPenney account, not realizing what I was doing at the store (to no fault but my own of course) and did not pay until a couple of months in. This resulted in a 30 day late payment getting reported to the credit bureaus. Once realized I paid in full in October 2019 (I actually accidentally somehow paid double as well which resulted in them having to credit me money in the end). Shortly after in October 2019 I opened a CareCredit account. Somehow when I skimmed over the deferred interest terms I missed the fact that I still had to make minimum monthly payments - I thought as long as I paid in full before the 6 months was up I would be in the clear, so again I missed the first few months payments but then paid it off in full within the next two payments. I paid it off before the 6 month period but due to missing the first few months I again got another 30 day late payment. Both of the companies appear to be owned by Synchrony. 

My boyfriend and I have been planning on traveling full time with my work. We have been planning on financing a fifth wheel which we would live in full time. We attempted to get pre-approved for a $35k loan (planning on $6k down) but we were denied. His credit score is good (760's) but has limited credit history- just a credit card which he has had for a couple of years now and has never been late. My credit score was SURPRISINGLY low (704)- I was expecting closer to the 765 that my Discover FICO score reveals. My two only delinquencies are these two synchrony late payments. One of my credit cards was high (almost maxed out) even though I had already paid it off completely by the time we tried to get pre-approved. I do still owe $13k on my car loan which is $401/month to which I have never missed a payment. I am also an authorized user (I believer this is what it is called) to several of my mothers cards which have high limits. 
In the interest of "rate shopping" I applied to get pre-approved with multiple companies because I heard if grouped so close together it would not negatively effect my score however I was turned down by all and many of them state "too many inquiries" as a reason. And unfortunately one of those "pre-approvals" to my surprise was a hard inquiry!! Now when I pull my report I am in the 690's - how screwed am I?? 

Anyways- here is a rough draft for my goodwill which I plan to email to the CEO for starters.

Synchrony Financial

777 Long Ridge Road 

Stamford, CT 06902 

September 10, 2020

Re: 

CareCredit Account #: XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX

JCPenney Account #: XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX

Dear Madam,

I am writing to ask you for a goodwill adjustment on my CareCredit account. In October of 2019 I opened an account in order to pay for veterinarian bills which allowed us another 8 months with our family dog. Unfortunately I misunderstood the deferred interest terms which resulted in missed payments at the start of the loan. As you can see I stepped up and paid the full amount owed within two payments once I realized the mistake I had made. These late payments resulted in one of two delinquencies on my credit report. This is especially frustrating to me because, although I had the funds to pay for the vet bill without financing, I decided to open the CareCredit account in an effort to prevent dipping any closer towards my emergency funds. Recently I have begun the search in purchasing a home and have experienced how much late payments affect my chances of obtaining competitive financing. I am hoping that you would be willing to work with me by no longer reporting the late payments to the three major credit bureaus.

Prior to this in July 2019 I opened a JCPenney account. As a result of simple oversight during an exceptionally chaotic and stressful time in my life I failed to submit my payments on time. Once realized in October 2019 I paid my remaining debts in full.

Although I have worked hard at improving my credit score these two notations are preventing me from reaching my goals. I know the Fair Credit Report Act requires the information being reported to be accurate. The FCRA, however, also dictates that it is not mandatory to report any information at all and reporting is at the full discretion of the furnisher of information. I know the accounts are being reported accurately, and I'm not disputing that, but would it be possible to request an early exclusion and extend a one-time courtesy to remove these accounts early from my credit before the full 7 years have passed? I would really appreciate your help in getting a fresh start. 

Sincerely, 

First Last

1235 NW 67th Avenue

City, State 89012

(123) 456-7890

11 REPLIES 11
Pit-Smoker
Regular Contributor

Re: Goodwill Proof Read??

hi. 

You're not at all screwed.  You're simply in a place that a whole host of people, including myself, have been and eventually vow (whatever that's worth) to never get back to. We all get overwhelmed and disorganized. 

Get a FULL copy of your credit report and see exactly who may have hard-pulled your stuff. You might be able to dispute one or two.  ("5" in 24 months shouldn't be too many inq's for anyone...except maybe Chase but that's a different story, so I assume that's just one 'excuse' they're using on you.)

For my purposes, I think your letter is awesome.   However, I was here actually to look for a draft, myself, when I stumbled upon your post, and therefore I don't know if the language is exactly what they're looking for, nor if it might be a little 'too' personal.   I just don't know. I hope someone else with experience replies, but in the meantime, I'm still looking, too.    

Also, I also don't know if one should request GW on 2 different accounts & types with the same letter, so I'd also be interested in hearing anyone's replies on that.  

Rebuilding is like smoking a brisket: it takes a lot of love, the right spice, and a ton of patience. You don't rush a brisket-- it goes low & slow. Sometimes, you need a crutch through the stall. In the end, the process matters.
2021 goals: 
1) GARDEN until I app for Mortgage.
2) Pay Down overall revolving debt aggressively and accountably, to under 30%, including my HELOC.  
3) Don't waste the gifted 0% time on the student loans. 
4) Ultimately, refi the house at non-usury terms. 

Message 2 of 12
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Best to write separate letters for each goodwill request.

Message 3 of 12
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Pit-Smoker wrote:

hi. 

You're not at all screwed.  You're simply in a place that a whole host of people, including myself, have been and eventually vow (whatever that's worth) to never get back to. We all get overwhelmed and disorganized. 

Get a FULL copy of your credit report and see exactly who may have hard-pulled your stuff. You might be able to dispute one or two.  ("5" in 24 months shouldn't be too many inq's for anyone...except maybe Chase but that's a different story, so I assume that's just one 'excuse' they're using on you.)

For my purposes, I think your letter is awesome.   However, I was here actually to look for a draft, myself, when I stumbled upon your post, and therefore I don't know if the language is exactly what they're looking for, nor if it might be a little 'too' personal.   I just don't know. I hope someone else with experience replies, but in the meantime, I'm still looking, too.    

Also, I also don't know if one should request GW on 2 different accounts & types with the same letter, so I'd also be interested in hearing anyone's replies on that.  

You can't dispute hard pulls if they're legit.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 4 of 12
Munchkinerin
Established Member

I should write two different letters even if to the same company? Would I wait until i get success with one of them and then start sending letters for the second? They are both with synchrony

Message 5 of 12
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Munchkinerin wrote:

I should write two different letters even if to the same company? Would I wait until i get success with one of them and then start sending letters for the second? They are both with synchrony

Yes, the requests should be separate to avoid confusion (on their part) If you want to do both at the same time I would use the saturation method which you can find in this forum and send one to a set of people and the second to a different set of people.

Message 6 of 12
Munchkinerin
Established Member

Yes, the requests should be separate to avoid confusion (on their part) If you want to do both at the same time I would use the saturation method which you can find in this forum and send one to a set of people and the second to a different set of people.

Okay I am planning on sending it out to the CEO for starters as I have her contact. I will just address the most recent one then (CareCredit). I assumed that if somebody were to take this off of my report they would notice that I also had the other one. 

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd have to agree with previous comments, sending GW requests for two separate accounts might reduce even further your chances of success. I'd tackle one at a time.

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree to write two letters because they will half read it. I did one GW for my Synchrony Old Navy and Amazon and they only responded to my Amazon request.  

Message 9 of 12
Munchkinerin
Established Member

Thank you to you and everyone else who recommended I ended up cutting the JCPenney part out. Shortly after sending the email I heard back from one of her staff members who left a voicemail basically saying that she was going to look into my case and address my concerns and that I should hear back by the end of the next business day. It sounded like a standard response that they tell everybody (like perhaps they hadn't even ready my email yet) and I never heard back from them again however a couple of weeks later I got a notification saying that one of my accounts was removed and eventually my CareCredit account was removed from all three major credit reporting agencies! 

I am not in a hurry to get the JCPenney one taken off of my report at the moment but just curious how I would go about this. Would I email it to the same person (CEO)? Would I reference the fact that they already helped me with one delinquency already or should I assume/hope they won't see that? How long would you wait before sending it to them? 

Also FYI- prior to getting that removed from my reports my boyfriend and I did end up getting approved by a local bank for 3.99% for 60 months and we purchased the RV! Unfortunately the transport company hit a low hanging branch so it is in the shop waiting to get a new roof while we battle with our insurances. We also ended up getting approved for a used 2016 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW Diesel with 160k miles on it for $27k which is a super good deal (at least it is right now with COVID stuff effecting things) for 2.89% for 60 months! Unfortunately the seller owes more than it's worth and him and his bank are being strange about giving my bank what they need to go through with the deal so it doesn't look like it will happen but at least I know what kind of rate I can qualify for!

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.