cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Goodwill request - ADDED a late payment?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Goodwill request - ADDED a late payment?

I sent Comenity a goodwill letter via their online secure message center requesting a goodwill removal/change of 4 late payments from over a year ago on my otherwise clean account. I referenced the fact that I had a pristine payment history with them on another account to help show my credibility.. around a month later I get a notification saying that the payment history has changed for my account, and what do you know, they added a fifth late payment to the account. I assume it’s probably correct, but I will have to check on it.

Why would they bother to do this, especially considering my payment history over the two accounts with them has been nothing short of perfect for the last year and a half?

On another note, Synchrony also kind of confused me with what their response to a goodwill was. I called customer service and asked for a goodwill removal/reduction of a 90-day late while under a payment plan (I really dropped the ball there.. changed my email and forgot about the account). They took notes, I was very nice, and told me that they would pass the info on to their back office.

A week or two later, I get a notification saying a comment was added to my account: disputed by customer; reported accurately under FCRA. I did not specifically dispute the accuracy, I admitted to the accuracy and asked for a goodwill delete. It dropped my score a single point, but it’s enough to be discouraged about.
5 REPLIES 5
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Goodwill request - ADDED a late payment?

It happens at times. You may think the GW will work. But many times they update with no intentions of deleting what was asked for. Sorry this happened. Your not the first and certainly not the last it will backfire on. If they're 30 day lates they dont mean much after a couple yrs anyways. Welcome to the forums!

Message 2 of 6
rbentley
Established Contributor

Somewhat similar thing happened to me with Cap 1.  GW request for removal of a 5 year old 30 day late was denied and a "Disputed by customer" or "AID (Account in Dispute) note was added to each of my reports resulted in a 6 or 8 pt loss.  I never disputed the account and couldn't get Cap 1 to remove the notation.  They kept saying it would just eventually fall off.  I finally had to resort to disputing with the CRAs to get the notation removed.  Huge hassel.  They went out of their way to hurt me for merely politely asking for a courtesy adjustment.

Message 3 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Technically, a consumer can, at any time, even after an account is closed, still file a dispute contesting the accuracy of any information in their credit file.  That forces the creditor to process a dispute and respond back to the CRA.

It is common for payment history profiles to be incomplete or inconsistent when an account is open and regular reporting is being made, with one or more CRAs, as creditors reporting to each is separate, and errors or incomplete reporting can occur.  That can subject them to future disputes, and business expense in processing the dispute.

When a consumer contacts a CRA for any purpose that involves review of payment history, that may spur them to avoid need for having to repeat that same review in the future should the consumer file a dispute, and thus leading them to record the complete history by filing an updatte.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

yeah sometimes dispute letters.....GW letters will trigger them to look at your account....like do an audit which is when they found the 5th late payment so they just updated the system.  Sometimes those can back fire.  I disputed something can't remember what it was for late payment or 2 and they came back with over 6-7 late payments!  lol    Totally backfired on me

Message 5 of 6
Queen_Etherea
Valued Contributor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

It happens at times. You may think the GW will work. But many times they update with no intentions of deleting what was asked for. Sorry this happened. Your not the first and certainly not the last it will backfire on. If they're 30 day lates they dont mean much after a couple yrs anyways. Welcome to the forums!

You know, I keep seeing people say this, but I don't think it's true. I have literally ONE 30 day late from a car loan and the late was from 6 years and 3 months ago. I was able to goodwill this late, but EQ just outright refuses to delete it! EX and TU both deleted immediately when CIG Financial requested it, but the guy I've been talking to about this said that EQ is just full of idiots like we all know... My EQ score hasn't even broken 700 yet, and my EX and TU scores are both 20-40 points higher. This is the only thing that's different! I've combed my reports dozens of times and everything matches perfectly except that one 30 day late. 

So, it may not hurt as much after some time with others, but it sure seems like I'm getting the full punishment from that 30 day late. I actually just emailed the guy and asked him to go ahead with deleting the tradeline from EQ, like he suggested a few weeks ago. 

I think I've found the sacred map that may lead me to this garden everyone keeps talking about.

Officially collection free as of 3/19/19!!
STARTING SCORES: 377 (11/2013) & 580 (3/2018)
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.