Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Goodwill vs Early Exclusion?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Goodwill vs Early Exclusion?

Can someone explain to me how early exclusion differs from goodwill?  Having sent over 200 GW letters in my day, I'm well verses in understanding how GW letters work.  Basically you're asking for forgiveness and for the lender to do you a favor by removing negative reported information.  How would you define early exclusion and in what circumstances would it be used as opposed to goodwill?  My understanding with EE is that you're asking for negative information (or perhaps an entire account?) to be removed earlier than would normally be the case.  GW and EE seem quite similar, just perhaps that GW would be considered early on in the 7 year process and EE possibly later on, I don't know, in Year 5 or 6? 

RobertEG if you see this thread, can you explain the lingo differences with respect to the FCRA?  I know once in the past when discussing GW letters, you said in response to lenders that state that the FCRA requires them to report accurate information, it also allows them to report NO information.  I'm considering using the EE angle to target the final creditor that I have not been able to crack via GW, but am not sure the best form of language to use with I approach them.  Thank you!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Goodwill vs Early Exclusion?

@Anonymous wrote:

Can someone explain to me how early exclusion differs from goodwill?  Having sent over 200 GW letters in my day, I'm well verses in understanding how GW letters work.  Basically you're asking for forgiveness and for the lender to do you a favor by removing negative reported information.  How would you define early exclusion and in what circumstances would it be used as opposed to goodwill?  My understanding with EE is that you're asking for negative information (or perhaps an entire account?) to be removed earlier than would normally be the case.  GW and EE seem quite similar, just perhaps that GW would be considered early on in the 7 year process and EE possibly later on, I don't know, in Year 5 or 6? 

RobertEG if you see this thread, can you explain the lingo differences with respect to the FCRA?  I know once in the past when discussing GW letters, you said in response to lenders that state that the FCRA requires them to report accurate information, it also allows them to report NO information.  I'm considering using the EE angle to target the final creditor that I have not been able to crack via GW, but am not sure the best form of language to use with I approach them.  Thank you!

GW is a request of the creditors. Early exclusion is a request of the CRA's. Thats really the only difference.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

GW is a request of the creditors. Early exclusion is a request of the CRA's. Thats really the only difference.

Ah gotcha, I never knew it involved the CRA's.  That said, what's the best approach to take with the CRA's regarding an EE request.  Under what conditions/terms would they be more likely to say yes rather than no? 

The account I'm dealing with is only dirty on my TU report, so in a way this is good news, as I'd only be targeting one CRA.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Most of the CRA's will only EE a very short time before the item would fall off anyway - less than 6 mos...some are less than 3, but I can't remember exactly which did what as it has been a while.  

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

TU can be done at 6 months or less depends on who you speak with when you call. Dv
Message 5 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Norman hit the nail on the head regarding who does the exclusion vs deletion. 

A bit more explanation relating to exclusion vs deletion....

You can always request a creditor or debt collector ("furnisher") to delete their reported information.  If they agree, then they report actual deletion of the information from your credit file.  It is gone.

The primary issue with deletion by a furnisher is that it is not in favor with the CRAs.  The credit reporting agencies are in the business of selling credit reports and scores, and the more complete their data, the more valuable is their product.  For business reasons, they thus do not want furnishers to delete otherwise accurate information, such as voluntary deletion based on payment of the debt.  Their standard credit reporting manual instructs furnishers not to delete based on payment of the debt.

That policy is incorporated into their credit reporting agreements, and violation of that policy could possibly result in termination of a credit reporting agreement.

Early exclusion, as stated by Norman, is determined by the CRA, with no involvement of the furnisher.

FCRA 605(a) imposes mandatory periods after which a CRA is required to discontinue inclusion of adverse items of information in credit reports they issue.

Exclusion does not actually delete the information from the consumer's credit file.  It simply prevents the CRAs from including the adverse item in normal credit reports they issue.  

HOWEVER, credit report exclusion is NOT absolute.  FCRA 605(b) provides limited situations where the credit report exclusion periods/provisions of section 605(a) are exempted.  The most common example is when a creditor requests a credit report relating to a  consumer-initiated request for credit in an amount of $150K or more.

If the creditor requests a credit report that shows all prior derogs, then the CRA can include any and all derogs in a special "full factual" credit report, meaning the normal credit report exclusion provisions do not apply.

In the case of a good-will deletion reported by a furnisher, the info is gone, and thus cannot thereafter be included in any credit report.

The credit report exclusion provisions of section 605(a) only set periods after which a CRA is prevented from including adverse items in normal credit reports.

The CRA is not precluded from excluding at an earlier date.  They commonly grant their own early exclusion without any request of consumers for collections and charge-offs.  FCRA 605(a)(4) as modified by section 605(c) sets a max exclusion period of no later than 7 years plus 180 days from the DOFD.  However, the CRAs routinely grant exclusion at approx 7 years.

The CRAs also grant routine exclusion of judgments after 7 years from date of entry, even if unpaid.  FCRA 605(a)(2) only requires exclusion of an unpaid judgment after 7 years if the judgment is no longer enforceable.  The CRAs dont usually determine whether a judgment remains enfoceable, and thus grant exclusion based only on period from date of entry of the judgment.

Grant of early exclusions that are substantially earlier than the statutory period deviate from the "intent" of congress, and are normally limited by the CRAs to less than 6 months, similar to the early exclusion of 6 months granted on collections and charge-offs.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good info above, everyone.  It seems that EE doesn't really buy people much, then.  IMO the targeting of the negative via GW seems to be the best form of attack, unless you're down to the final 6 months that it should be on your credit report.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Good info above, everyone.  It seems that EE doesn't really buy people much, then.  IMO the targeting of the negative via GW seems to be the best form of attack, unless you're down to the final 6 months that it should be on your credit report.

I agree totally

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.