cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got 2nd card , should I go for a third now or later?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Got 2nd card , should I go for a third now or later?

I've been rebuiling my credit for the last year and gone up 100 points. yay! But need to keep adding points, goal is 750.  Now I am at a crossroads.  I keep seeing that is good to have 3 credit cards , with one reporting under 10%.  I have a Discover card that was secure, but got upgraded to unsecure and just got approved for Chase Slate.  

How do I get that third card?  do I go for another secure or apply for an unsecure ?  or do I just let one of my two cards start reporting under 10% every month?

Thanks for any input!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Got 2nd card , should I go for a third now or later?

wrote:

I've been rebuiling my credit for the last year and gone up 100 points. yay! But need to keep adding points, goal is 750.  Now I am at a crossroads.  I keep seeing that is good to have 3 credit cards , with one reporting under 10%.  I have a Discover card that was secure, but got upgraded to unsecure and just got approved for Chase Slate.  

How do I get that third card?  do I go for another secure or apply for an unsecure ?  or do I just let one of my two cards start reporting under 10% every month?

Thanks for any input!

For maximum scoring, you would ideally have 3 cards and one installment loan reporting.    Congrats on the 100+ increase in score, i've been there before myself. 

As for the third card, there isnt really enough DP's in your post to give you a better recommendation.  the third card wont hurt your score building, but depending on where you are at currently will depends on what cards you can go for so that you dont rack up a bunch on INQ's for card you cant get.    Obviously avoid subprime(credit one, premiere, indigo) but you could always look into a cap one, or if you have any military backgound (yourself or immediate family) try Navy federal.   Great CU and good limits/approvals for rebuilders. 

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply ...what is DP?  guessing more details....I credit score wise I am in the high 600's right now , 675 to 697 across the 3 credit bureaus. I've been at this for a year.  Also was able to get a medical collection off Experian and Trans Union.  Neet to check Equifax.  I am looking to buy a house at the beggining of next year, so my goal is to get in the 700's and to keep raising it ofcourse.  So I wonder if I should risk another "ding" with a hard inquiry (it did go down 3 points with transunion) or get a secure card that reports to all 3 agencies.

No military members unfortunately. 

Message 3 of 9
trusty
Frequent Contributor

wrote:

Thanks for the reply ...what is DP?  guessing more details....I credit score wise I am in the high 600's right now , 675 to 697 across the 3 credit bureaus. I've been at this for a year.  Also was able to get a medical collection off Experian and Trans Union.  Neet to check Equifax.  I am looking to buy a house at the beggining of next year, so my goal is to get in the 700's and to keep raising it ofcourse.  So I wonder if I should risk another "ding" with a hard inquiry (it did go down 3 points with transunion) or get a secure card that reports to all 3 agencies.

No military members unfortunately. 

DP's usually refers to data points... info.

For instance... What are your limits? Which cards are reporting on which credit bureaus?

It's good to have some accounts reporting, when there isn't much history. It's not good to have too many new accounts all opened in a short period of time. But, it depends on the credit issuer and their tolerance level.

That said, you may want to pump the breaks on that mortgage application. It typically requires at least 3 tradelines open for at least 24 months. Now, some lenders in the past have been willing to take letters of credit from local utility companies. But, even if you can find a bank like that, it's probably not going to be at fair rates.

The other option is to purchase with a significant other, that already has the requisite accounts. Or, perhaps a parent, or other close relative can co-sign with you.

Just remember the credit game is not a race. There are very few shortcuts, at least anymore.

Also, Navy is now accepting immediate relatives of those that served, even if they were never members. For instance, some users have reported joining due to their grandparent's service.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I would recommend getting the 3rd card to help your scores grow. If your scores are in the upper 600's you can pretty much apply for any card you wish as long as you haven't burned them in the past. Maybe try for Citi's DC or one of Amex cards.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Which card(s) interest you for a 3rd Card?

Don’t get just any card to have 3.
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Not sure what card would be best....I am interested in earning points for travel or would really like an Amex because of the concert presales benefits, but not sure how hard those are two get.

Appreciate any recomendations!

Message 7 of 9
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Well, have you tried Amex prequal page? 

Message 8 of 9
DollyLama
Established Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

Thanks for any input!

For maximum scoring, used your current cards regularly, but have 1 (of your choosing, can alternate every month or two) always report a zero balance at statement cut (not to be confused with due date). The card you let report even if you have 2, 5 or 10, keep below <8.99% of the one cards total line of credit at statement cut. That is a threshold score bump on utilization. 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.