Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got DV response today, questions inside

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Got DV response today, questions inside

I sent a full media DV letter to a CA and got my media back in the mail. There are copies of statements from the account, which was a checking account. The statements show one paid check, followed by several dozen nsf charges, bringing the balance to negative 900, which is the amount on the CA.

All the CA sent was the statements along with a report that states

"NSF Payments Report"
It lists several creditors and has names, along with amount paid. None of them are my name, and the account numbers listed are not mine.

So while they did give me statements of my account, they did not send anything showing that they are authorized to collect in my state, or that they were assigned or purchased the debt for collection.

On the cover sheet for what they sent me I was given 4 options
1. You are disputing the entire balance
2. You are disputing this account dur to fraud
3. You are disputing a portion of the debt, if so please provide the amount
4. You agree with the debt, if so please contact our office to speak with one of our agents.

My questions are, should a. Go directly to BofA to try and get this cleared up? B. Resend DV letter showing that they did not provide what I asked for? or C. Choose their option and dispute a portion of the balance, which in this case is about 90% of what they are asking
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Got DV response today, questions inside

Sprinty, I'm a little confused...

Is ANY of this familiar to you?  Is any of it yours or are the trying to collect on something that has absolutely nothing to do with you?

My first thought as far as choosing an "option" was "I'd dispute based on fraud...the CA fraudulently collecting a debt that isn't mine" but I'm kinda twisted like that, so...

Seriously... I would think maybe BoA could be a good start, as they can quickly verify that none of the accounts in question are yours, right?
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's the deal, there was 25 bucks in the account, check was presented in the amount of 35. BofA paid it then charged a NSF. That part is fine. I honestly think that I was not the person that wrote that check, and I did dispute it with BofA at the time. The account should have been closed at that point.

Now, even if I was the one that wrote the check, there was NO other activity after that, except for BofA charging NSF fees every 2-3 days for the next three months. I don't remember getting any statements from BofA at the time, but I also moved in that time frame as well. I wouldn't mind paying for the overdraft amount and 1 of the NSF charges, but I don;t think that I should be paying for $900 worth of NSF fees for any reason whatsoever. I currently have an account with BofA, and nothing was ever mentioned when I opened the new acct.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

My suggestion would be to see whether BoA will deal with you directly on it.  If you are a current customer in good standing, then they may be willing to eat some of those fees in order to retain your business.

If they'll talk with you about the account, ask them if they're willing to pull it back from the CA and deal with you on it.  Being prepared to choose to take your banking business elsewhere may come in handy, if necessary.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.