tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Got a call from a debt collector over an old debt

The debt is from Florida

It is from an old AT&T account

Approximately 8 years old

Total of debt around $500

I got a call from a random number today with no voicemail. I called the number and I got a digital phone rep who transferred me to a person. They asked me for my basic info.

She went on to say it was an attempt for debt collection for AT&T. I told her that the debt was nearly 8 years old and the statute had run out. She then said NO it would be put back on my credit on March 6th and I could make a payment right now.

I kept saying the debt was no longer good and she kept getting more and more rude so I just hung up. I started to worry about “resetting” the debt since I acknowledged. While I did say it was no longer good I did admit that it was my debt? Can they come after me for it?

My credit is FINALLY all cleared up. Could they attach it back to my credit? From what I have read acknowledging can refresh the statute allowing you to be sued… But an agency cannot reset the charge off date. Collection agencies need to report the original date of delinquency which in my case is 8 years ago well past the statute of limitations in Florida (7 years?).  

10 REPLIES 10
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Got a call from a debt collector over an old debt

Is there anything on your reports from AT&T? Look into the DoFD. If its past 7 yrs. It more than likely could be a zombie junk collector. Make sure it is 8 yrs old. Dont call again.

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

There's nothing from AT&T on my report. No derogs or missed payments (which is why I'm paranoid ... what happens if they try to pull something?)

Message 3 of 11
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Its probably a junk collector. I actually just got a call from a unknown number and hit call screen on my pixel. Soon as they hear the recorded speech to leave a message. They hang up. Happened 5 mins ago. Love Googles Call Screen!

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but debt that is over 7 years old no longer has to be paid.

Message 5 of 11
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but debt that is over 7 years old no longer has to be paid.

That's wrong

7 years, or 7.5 to be exact, is only how long debt can be reported. 

Once it can no longer be reported, it doesnt disappear. Debt collectors can continue with attempts to collect indefinitely until debt is satisfied.

Whether a person decides to pay or not, that's a whole another story.

Message 6 of 11
donkort
Valued Contributor

I hope the debt collector doesn't do something seedy-----like put a later "DOFD," and report it to the bureaus that way.

I would assume that the credit bureaus have a way of verifying the information of entities which report to them.

FICO 8: EQ 810; TU 816; EX 822 as of 7/5/2022
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Remedios wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

That's wrong

Once it can no longer be reported, it doesnt disappear. Debt collectors can continue with attempts to collect indefinitely until debt is satisfied.

Oh ok, gotcha! I must've been misinformed somewhere or misunderstood. I'm betting the latter knowing me. Smiley LOL

Message 8 of 11
Remedios
Credit Mentor

I'm not sure what happens after CRAs do housecleaning,  so that's one of the reasons why you should stagger getting copies of free annual credit report (one every four months from different CRA), save both paper copy and dated pdf file for easier look up if you ever need it.

While CRAs have measures in place to deal with instances like that, I wouldn't put my fate in their hands and hope they do it correctly and expeditiously.

An ounce of prevention and all that...

Message 9 of 11
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

That's wrong

Oh ok, gotcha! I must've been misinformed somewhere or misunderstood. I'm betting the latter knowing me. Smiley LOL

I'm sure you just heard the urban myths that are common for reporting of debts, SOL, whether it's still owed. @Remedios is spot on, as always.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.