Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got a debt letter, think it is illegal- advice

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Got a debt letter, think it is illegal- advice

Hello,

I got a letter from a Valley Collection Service based in AZ ( I live in WA just for ref).  They sent me a letter about a balance that I am not sure about, but the thing is I don't think the notice even meets FDCPA guidelines.  The don't mention anything about being able to challenge the validity, I also looked them up on my states website and they don't have a license on file inmy state to collect debts.

Should I just send them a letter telling them they are in violation or is this a good cause to take them to small claims?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Got a debt letter, think it is illegal- advice

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello,

I got a letter from a Valley Collection Service based in AZ ( I live in WA just for ref).  They sent me a letter about a balance that I am not sure about, but the thing is I don't think the notice even meets FDCPA guidelines.  The don't mention anything about being able to challenge the validity, I also looked them up on my states website and they don't have a license on file inmy state to collect debts.

Should I just send them a letter telling them they are in violation or is this a good cause to take them to small claims?

Technically its not a violation yet. It is first contact. The law states that they must provide a legal dunning notice within five days of first contact.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Got a debt letter, think it is illegal- advice

OK, well I guess I will wait a week and see if I get something else.  

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.