cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got two collections off the Report today!!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Got two collections off the Report today!!!

Been working on fixing my fiancee's credit. There were many collections on her reports which had her scores in the 550s. So far I have managed to get several collection accounts deleted through disputes. Pulled scores today..... nearly 600!!! I'm pretty excited about the results. Now, on to the questions...

1. There were two accounts that were both charged off, but CA couldn't DV so collections were pulled off reports. I would like to try and get original accounts off the books next. How can I be sure that the accounts were definitely sold and that GW won't reopen the search for their money? Should I DV the OC or try and GW?

The reports I have are from myfico, so they don't have full account numbers and histories. Should I pull the reports directly from CRA to get the whole histories and check for SOL?

2. There was another account that was listed as a charge off but it was paid in full (it was a loan for an atv) They updated the negative TL and now it reads charged off as bad debt, $0 charged off. Call me dumb, but I don't think you can charge off $0. Should I contact OC or redispute with CRA?

Thanks everyone. That's all the questions I have for now.

Message Edited by Sprinty2 on 07-30-2008 02:02 AM
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Got two collections off the Report today!!!

@Anonymous wrote:
Should I DV the OC or try and GW?

The reports I have are from myfico, so they don't have full account numbers and histories. Should I pull the reports directly from CRA to get the whole histories and check for SOL?

You should definitely get the reports direct from the CRAs first. If you're past SOL, you can try disputing and maybe they'll be knocked off. Since the CAs couldn't verify, perhaps the OC won't, either. It can happen if the OCs are within a few months of falling off naturally, especially.

2. There was another account that was listed as a charge off but it was paid in full (it was a loan for an atv) They updated the negative TL and now it reads charged off as bad debt, $0 charged off. Call me dumb, but I don't think you can charge off $0. Should I contact OC or redispute with CRA?

Check the direct reports for this, as well. Third party data providers are good for getting your basic info and monitoring situations, but they can display info that isn't exactly what is on the original reports. Then if the actual reports say something wrong, dispute it.
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

And congratulations on your previous successes!
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Checked Ex report and it reads as follows

Status Details:
This item was verified and updated on Jul 2008.

Account History:
Charge Off as of Jun 2005 to Aug 2006
90 days as of May 2005
60 days as of Apr 2005
30 days as of Jan 2005 to Mar 2005

Still not sure about the whole CO thing with this one. Should I DV the OC or send a GW?
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You should definitely get the reports direct from the CRAs first. If you're past SOL, you can try disputing and maybe they'll be knocked off. Since the CAs couldn't verify, perhaps the OC won't, either. It can happen if the OCs are within a few months of falling off naturally, especially.

Check the direct reports for this, as well. Third party data providers are good for getting your basic info and monitoring situations, but they can display info that isn't exactly what is on the original reports. Then if the actual reports say something wrong, dispute it.

Disputing accurate information on your CRs is a no-no here.

OP: There's an OC letter floating around here somewhere. It's best (and more ethical) to try to get rid of the OC's reporting THAT way rather than outright disputing.

As to the charge off with a zero balance, it's reporting correctly, AFAIK. The zero balance simply means it's paid and it doesn't add to your utilization.

Other cases where you'd see a CO with a zero balance is in situations where the debt was sold or transferred to another company (such as a CA) or lender.

Message Edited by Wonderin on 07-30-2008 11:53 PM
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

So as far as getting through to the OC, on the CO accounts, should I DV then PFD?
The two CO are from

GEMB, DOFD 2/2005, Account charged off/Past due 150 days. $1,401 written off.

Cap1 DOFD 2/2005, Transferred,closed/Account charged off. $625 written off.

Both of these were listed as "Purchased by another lender". Neither CA could DV.

SOL is at most 4 years (state debt was incurred SOL).

I don't want to rock the boat if SOL is up in a few months, but would like to get these off the reports.
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Disputing accurate information on your CRs is a no-no here.

Point stipulated. OP did not explicitly say information was correct, and indeed was asking about whether OC info was possibly being incorrectly reported as a matter of logic. Since CAs hadn't been able to respond to DVs, it was reasonable to assume that neither could OCs, most likely because the info was incorrect. It is everyone's right to have incorrect info on CRs corrected or deleted.

Thanks, Wonderin, for your clarification of the OC's CO reporting. Makes sense to me.
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
So as far as getting through to the OC, on the CO accounts, should I DV then PFD?

If they've already sold the accounts, they don't own them, so you can't PFD them. And OCs aren't DV-able. You may have to wait this one out, or at least long enough that they'd be GW-able, assuming they're reporting correctly.
Message 8 of 10
fused
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Mr. Tor:

Please be aware that discussions regarding disputing accurate information for the purposes of improving one's credit score and/or profile are a violation of this site's TOS and Credit Repair Discussion Guidelines.  Please read this thread before posting anything further regarding credit repair.

Thanks for contributing to these forums and for your cooperation!

--fused
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

My intentions are not to create frivolous disputes and have to deal with that headache. The auto loan that reports a $0 CO was apid completely in full. There were a couple of lates, but the balance should never have been listed as a CO. I think I will just GW that one since it is already paid.

The other two COs that could not be verified by CA are near the SOL. Those are ones that have already been sold, so the OC probably could care less since they've washed their hands of it.

For these 2 accounts, should I GW now, or wait until SOL passes just to be on the safe side?
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.