Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP/ADVISE Credit Card pay off/ Equifax not updating

tag
mo15473
Contributor

HELP/ADVISE Credit Card pay off/ Equifax not updating

So I have a question ? Back in early Jan of this year I paid off a credit card that was closed out in 2009. I have a letter stating that the card was paid off as well as receipts. I have disputed this issue with Equifax like 6 times and everytime they say it comes back as verified. Called the company TMG finical services and they stated that they updated all credit bureau as paid and closed out. I even sent in the letters as well as my bank statements showing that it was paid. I also have open a case with the CFPB and eqiufax sent back the same response to them as well. My question is is there any way to get this removed or update on my equifax report. Experian as well as transunion has update the information as 0 and paid off/closed but equifax is refusing to do it. Its to the point now that this is really pissing me off and that the people who work for equifax is the bigest box of rocks in the world. Any help is appreciated

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: HELP/ADVISE Credit Card pay off/ Equifax not updating

I'm a bit surprised that they were able to convince the CFPB that their lack of update of current status to show paid was accurate.

So be it.  If disputes have been verified, and the CFPB did not find lack of compliance by the creditor, then it is time to legally document your case.

When verifying a dispute, the furnisher is not required to provide documentation, or prove the accuracy.  There are no judges in a dispute process.

They are required to conduct a reasonable investigation, and provide a determination that is reasonably supported by their documentation.

You can compel them to produce their documenatation and get a binding review and decision on who is correct by getting the matter before a court.

You bring action against them for lack of proper verification of accuracy of their reporting based on your clear documentation that it was paid.

If, in that determination, the court also determines that their verification of your prior disputes was done without conduction a reasonable investigation, or that they conducted a reasonable investigation, but verified when the results of their investigation did not support the acccuracy, they could additionally be liable for violation of their requirements under the FCRA dispute process.

Looks like a trip to small claims court......

Message 2 of 3
mo15473
Contributor

Re: HELP/ADVISE Credit Card pay off/ Equifax not updating

@RobertEG wrote:

I'm a bit surprised that they were able to convince the CFPB that their lack of update of current status to show paid was accurate.

So be it.  If disputes have been verified, and the CFPB did not find lack of compliance by the creditor, then it is time to legally document your case.

When verifying a dispute, the furnisher is not required to provide documentation, or prove the accuracy.  There are no judges in a dispute process.

They are required to conduct a reasonable investigation, and provide a determination that is reasonably supported by their documentation.

You can compel them to produce their documenatation and get a binding review and decision on who is correct by getting the matter before a court.

You bring action against them for lack of proper verification of accuracy of their reporting based on your clear documentation that it was paid.

If, in that determination, the court also determines that their verification of your prior disputes was done without conduction a reasonable investigation, or that they conducted a reasonable investigation, but verified when the results of their investigation did not support the acccuracy, they could additionally be liable for violation of their requirements under the FCRA dispute process.

Looks like a trip to small claims court......

Something told me this was going to have to go down this way ugh, Guess you have to pay to play in this credit world. I appreciate the response. Anyone have know a good law office in dealing with particular cases like this . Much appreciated 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.