cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP! WGFA Collection Agency Gina Morgan threatening Lawsuit

tag
Mikewen2

HELP! WGFA Collection Agency Gina Morgan threatening Lawsuit

I recently got a nasty call from Gina Morgan who said she was with WFGA collections. When I called her back she answered the phone, "investigations dept." She said if I don't pay an old debt on an HSBC credit card she would file a lawsuit. She then offered to settle for $3200 and when I said I couldn't afford that she offered to settle for $2500 and said if she doesn't get it by 5/1, she will file in court. I'm scared! Is this legit. She said she was verifying my wife's employment to add her to the suit. But the card was only in my name! I was told my last payment was made in Sept. 2009. The statute of limitations on credit card debt where I live in Delaware is 3 years. The SOL would have been up last year. Is WFGA legit! I need advice!
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: HELP! WGFA Collection Agency Gina Morgan threatening Lawsuit

Hi and welcome to Myfico forum!

You will find a wealth of information here!  I am going to suggest that you start the journey by reading the following threads: 

What Steps Do I Take?

Start with pulling your FREE Credit Report's from annualcreditreport.com. They tend to have more info on them than ones from a 3rd party. The Credit Reports from annualcreditreport.com, come directly from each of the CRA's. You can pull 1 Free Credit Report from TU, EQ and EX every 12 months.

Save your money and Don't Buy the Scores, they are what we call FAKO's.

Then you can send a Debt Validation letter and a Cease and Desist letter to the collection agency.

The next time they call, firmly say "Please send all communications to me regarding this debt via US Mail. Do not contact me by telephone"

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 2 of 18
guiness56
Epic Contributor

They can't threaten to file a lawsuit unless they fully intend to.  If they don't sue you can file suit against them for a threat.

If the debt was solely in your name, they cannot sue your spouse.

Even if they do file, you would show up in court and claim expired SOL as an affirmative defense.

Some CAs are more than slimeballs.  They will use every threat and bribe to get you to pay. 

It can still be added to your CR however.

ETA:  I looked up WGFA and can't find anything about them on the internet.  Are your sure that is their name?

Message 3 of 18
Mikewen2

I can't find anything on the Internet about them either.
Message 4 of 18
Mikewen2

Oops it's WFGA.
Message 5 of 18
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Still nothing.  If they call again try to get more information or ask them to send you a letter.

It is sounding more like a scam.

Message 6 of 18
Mikewen2

I asked them to send a letter. They said they sent several letters (probably did...my bad). This woman said she won't send a letter until I send her a $2500 settlement. Original debt is $5900. She said they will sue for $12,000 (that includes interest) and they can garnish my wages up to 25%.
Message 7 of 18
guiness56
Epic Contributor

If you ask for debt validation, until they provide it, they cannot continue to collect.

She cannot tell you she won't send anything until you send payment.  That is bribery.

They cannot garnish your wages.  First they would have to get a judgment against you,  then they would have to file a writ of garnishment separately.  They would have to have an attorney to do all of this.

Do you have a phone number for them?

Message 8 of 18
Mikewen2

She said her name was Gina Morgan with WFGA. Phone # is 714-453-1963. Shen gave me an address to send a $2500 settlement. 1439 West Chapman Ave. Suite 160 Orange ,CA 92868
Message 9 of 18
DiabolicallyRandom
Established Contributor

I have been researching this like a mad man. The best link I seem to be able to find comes from doing a search for her actual name. The company most often linked to the name seems to be Western Performance Group. It looks like the company moves around and changes phone numbers and addresses often. Gina Morgan appears to be a regular with each of the numbers and locatations.  You will probably hear from Alexis Cruz as well. It looks like its always the same thing with threatening law suits, that never seem to happen.  They always offer settlements for lump sums, but are never willing to accept payments. It appears as though they dont even respond to complaints from the BBB. If I were you I would contact the OC and find out who has the debt so you can see if these people actually do. These people reek of some sort of scam.

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.