Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HIPPA Question

tag
Rese
New Contributor

HIPPA Question

I have a couple questions about the whole hippa thing. First off I did dispute some of medical collections through the CRA’s website when I got my annualcreditreport. They all came back as ver. Was that a mistake? If so can I still send them a letter?  These collections are with hospitals. I can’t even tell what the SOL of medical is in NV. (I feel soo brain dead with this)  Also I have 5 different accounts with the same hospital (UMC) using the same collection agency (Credit Bureau Central). I can’t afford to pay them at the same time. One they didn’t even send to my insurance company. Can I pay them one by one and send a HIPPA letter after each cashier check clears? Another thing the 1st HIPPA letter must be sent to the credit reporting agency right? Is it ever ok just to pay the bill then send the letters? I know they are mine.  Thank everyone for all their help!!!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Tons_of_Debt
Established Contributor

Re: HIPPA Question

bump
08/01/2008 - 472 EQ; 523 TU; 454 EX
03/01/2009 - 574 EQ
08/08/2009 - 648 EQ
01/27/2010 - 671 EQ
07/04/2010 - 713 EQ
01/05/2011 - 730 EQ
05/14/16 - 762 EX
Message 2 of 9
fused
Moderator Emeritus

The HIPAA process requires you to PIF. Start over and dispute the collections you can PIF by writing letter #1 to the CRAs. If verified, write letter #2 with insert "A" and a payment in full to the OC. Use a bank check and make it payable to the OC and on the back of the check, write for deposit only. Do not communicate or DV the CA.
Message 3 of 9
Tons_of_Debt
Established Contributor

What happens if the OC refuses to accept payment?
08/01/2008 - 472 EQ; 523 TU; 454 EX
03/01/2009 - 574 EQ
08/08/2009 - 648 EQ
01/27/2010 - 671 EQ
07/04/2010 - 713 EQ
01/05/2011 - 730 EQ
05/14/16 - 762 EX
Message 4 of 9
Rese
New Contributor

Silly question but do you think its ok to send the hospital the 2nd HIPPA(once ver. of course) when I can only pay them off one at a time? I don't want them to sue on the other collections I have with them. Oh and the I got a msg on my cell from "Pt account services" with UMC (the hospital that 5 of my collections are with)  asking me to call them. The lady was so nice it was scary. Now I have read that sometimes they will settle for a portion of what the bill is. Should I call them?? i just don't know what to do!!
Message 5 of 9
Rese
New Contributor

One more thing. One of the collections I know they didn't send to the insurance company. Is there anything I can do about this??
Message 6 of 9
fused
Moderator Emeritus

If you can PIF, offer to do so with the OC.
Message 7 of 9
Rese
New Contributor

If I PIF will it still be deleted under HIPPA?
Message 8 of 9
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Rese wrote:
If I PIF will it still be deleted under HIPPA?

Yes, it should get deleted. I'm sorry I misread your previous question. Can you PIF this collection? If yes, send the pre-HIPAA dispute letter to the CRAs via CMRRR and wait 35 days.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.