cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HOW LONG TO SEE POSITIVE RESULT FROM A COLLECTION REMOVAL?

tag
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: HOW LONG TO SEE POSITIVE RESULT FROM A COLLECTION REMOVAL?

If you hadn't disputed, I would have advised you to either wait and send a DV or file a police report and then dispute.

Why DV? You place the burden on them to validate. If they do, then dispute would be next step along with letters to the BBB, FTC, etc. Plus it give you a chance to see info from the OC and you can prevent them from selling the info to another CA, if it were to happen.

Or dispute? I would have recommended a police report. CRAs have a nasty habit, from what I read in here anyway, of verifying non-legit debt. A police report would make it more official. Nobody is going to risk jail time by filing a false police report. Plus, if there's an ID theft issue, you've taken the first necessary steps. Moreover, if the CRA came back with "verified", then disputing again could eventually come back with a "frivilous dispute" claim by the CRA, then you would be stuck.

But I am glad it is working out for you. 100 plus points is huge.

RobsFico wrote:
Thank you very much. I have learned much here just as a lurker and will continue to do so. As soon as I receive the (hopefully positive) results of my TU investigation, I will post up.

I must say, I was a bit apprehensive going into this dispute process after having read a few posts by members regarding their bad results in dealing with this type of thing. I'm glad now I chose to use the "normal" dispute process as opposed to contacting the CA or OC directly since in my case, this was (to me at least) a clear case of mistaken identity. Talk about a sigh of relief. More so since I am contemplating a home purchase in the upcoming months.

llecs wrote:
Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 11 of 19
RobsFico
Valued Member

I agree that the increase was huge, but of course I don't know what the exact score was before the CA report. The only thing I DO know is that my EX FICO score was 779 as of late last year (Oct/Nov).

Since I looked into, and was not suspicious of, any criminal wrongdoing (ID theft, etc), I came to the conclusion the my situation HAD to be mistaken identity and remained hopeful that during EXs' investigation, this would be readily apparent to them or the CA. Thankfully for me, that was what apparently revealed itself during their investigation.

Now if TU is as successful at realizing this, I will be a happy camper.

Rob

llecs wrote:
If you hadn't disputed, I would have advised you to either wait and send a DV or file a police report and then dispute.

Why DV? You place the burden on them to validate. If they do, then dispute would be next step along with letters to the BBB, FTC, etc. Plus it give you a chance to see info from the OC and you can prevent them from selling the info to another CA, if it were to happen.

Or dispute? I would have recommended a police report. CRAs have a nasty habit, from what I read in here anyway, of verifying non-legit debt. A police report would make it more official. Nobody is going to risk jail time by filing a false police report. Plus, if there's an ID theft issue, you've taken the first necessary steps. Moreover, if the CRA came back with "verified", then disputing again could eventually come back with a "frivilous dispute" claim by the CRA, then you would be stuck.

But I am glad it is working out for you. 100 plus points is huge.

RobsFico wrote:
Thank you very much. I have learned much here just as a lurker and will continue to do so. As soon as I receive the (hopefully positive) results of my TU investigation, I will post up.

I must say, I was a bit apprehensive going into this dispute process after having read a few posts by members regarding their bad results in dealing with this type of thing. I'm glad now I chose to use the "normal" dispute process as opposed to contacting the CA or OC directly since in my case, this was (to me at least) a clear case of mistaken identity. Talk about a sigh of relief. More so since I am contemplating a home purchase in the upcoming months.

llecs wrote:
Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobsFico wrote:
Yikes!! Just purchased my EX score.
826! Even better than I expected. Man Very Happy
Now have to wait for TUs response by mail. Fingers crossed.

Wow!!! That is great. You are only 14 pts away from the holy grail!!
Message 13 of 19
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@RobsFico wrote:

Just watch out for the rabbit!
Message 14 of 19
RobsFico
Valued Member

Yeah I know. Even I was was shocked at the higher than expected score there. Smiley Very Happy

One thing I have determined, partially from reading numerous posts/threads here in the forum, is to not get too hung up on the actual number itself. As long as I can at least maintain numbers in the upper 700s I'll be happy come home purchase time. I do have to admit though that that number sure does feel good. Smiley Happy

@Anonymous wrote:

@RobsFico wrote:

Message 15 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm sure it does feel good. Congrats again!!
Message 16 of 19
scramblingin2007
Established Contributor

RobsFico wrote:

826!  Even better than I expected. Man Very Happy

Wow Rob, that is a beautiful score! How did you achieve that score? I would love to know! You must have a pristine credit report! I am very jelous! (sp)
Message 17 of 19
RobsFico
Valued Member

scramblingin2007 wrote:

RobsFico wrote:

826!  Even better than I expected. Man Very Happy

Wow Rob, that is a beautiful score! How did you achieve that score? I would love to know! You must have a pristine credit report! I am very jelous! (sp)

Well, I doubt there is any "magic answer" here. Just a long history of credit, combined with an almost obssessive need to never, ever have any late payments. I guess what it boils down to is basics, basics, basics. Not real sexy or exciting, but over time it really pays off.

For a number of years I didn't monitor or check my scores per se, but I did adhere to the basics of paying on time, etc. I was guilty of letting too much credit card debt slowly build, but I still paid on time. I was fortunate in that when I retired last year, I was able to completely pay off 99% of my CC debt. It's only relatively recently that I have begun to check into specifics ever since I retired and have wanted to see where I stood. More so because I'm thinking of moving to a different part of the country and buying a home.

Hey, like they say, even a blind squirrel gets lucky once in awhile. Smiley Wink
Message 18 of 19
RobsFico
Valued Member

UPDATE!

Well, today I received the results of my TU dispute as to the bogus CA entry mentioned previously in this thread. And the results are:

My new TU FICO score is now  794

I am once again a happy camper.   Smiley Very Happy

I guess the answer to my original thread question is that upon the completion of the CRA's investigation, you will see an immediate positive result from a collection removal from your credit report(s), ESPECIALLY if the CA was truly bogus ( a la mistaken identity) to begin with. Obviously things can get a bit more complicated when a person is fighting for removal of what was an otherwise legitimate debt.

Rob
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.