cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Harvard Collections, my new nemesis!

tag
chevyman
Contributor

Re: Harvard Collections, my new nemesis!

There can only be one OC if u told them ur new address and they did not update then its there s
Message 11 of 35
750orbust
Frequent Contributor

"And they cannot list the other CA as the OC. It has to be the original creditor as in not another CA."

I did not know this, what does this do for me since they reporting it that way?
Message 12 of 35
750orbust
Frequent Contributor

"There can only be one OC if u told them ur new address and they did not update then its there s"

I didn't tell them my new address, I put a change of address in at the post office like everyone does when they move so they can get their mail forwarded to their new address.
They're not listing two OC's on my CR, but they are listing another CA as the original creditor.
Message 13 of 35
750orbust
Frequent Contributor

@Chevyman

I didn't tell them my new address because like I mentioned, before a few days ago, I have never heard of either one of these CA's
Message 14 of 35
750orbust
Frequent Contributor

@Guiness

Do you happen to know where this rule is written, that they can't report OC as another CA? If I can find this rule/law in writing I might have the ammunition I need to dispute with the CRA's. At this point (wanting to apply for a mortgage in a few months) I don't want to put any disputes in to the CRA's but if I've got a guaranteed win here I'd love to put a dispute in as this stupid collection dropped all my scores about 30 points.
Message 15 of 35
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@750orbust wrote:
"And they cannot list the other CA as the OC. It has to be the original creditor as in not another CA."

I did not know this, what does this do for me since they reporting it that way?

No matter how many times a debt is sold there is only one original creditor, the entity that extended you credit.  A CA does not extend credit and cannot be an OC. 

It is alright if they report it like that, either the CA sold or assiged the debt to the new CA to collect.  But, it still doesn't make them the OC.

Message 16 of 35
750orbust
Frequent Contributor

I've managed to find out who the "real" OC is, I was just hoping I could use this false information as ammo against them and possibly have this deleted by the CRA since the "listed" OC isn't really the OC so I'm thinking that maybe, just maybe they would have a hard time validating this debt to the CRA's since they're not the one who originally granted me a line of credit. What are your thoughts?
Message 17 of 35
guiness56
Epic Contributor

I'll look for it.  I've been searching and of course after I told you that I can't find anything.

I know there is something in the credit reporting resource guide but that is not really law.

Message 18 of 35
750orbust
Frequent Contributor

Guinness, I'm going to recommend you get a raise! LOL! You are one of the most helpful people on this forum. Thanks a bunch
Message 19 of 35
guiness56
Epic Contributor

This is the definition of creditor per the FDCPA:   It clearly states a collection agency is not a creditor.

The term “creditor” means any person who offers or extends credit creating a debt or to whom a debt is owed, but such term does not include any person to the extent that he receives an assignment or transfer of a debt in default solely for the purpose of facilitating collection of such debt for another.

Message 20 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.