cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have I done all I can do for now?

tag
Restore2011

Have I done all I can do for now?

I've posted bits and pieces of this a couple of times, but this time I have an entirely different question.

My current scores are in my siggy. This score is comprised of one BK (d/c), and several (lots of?) lates courtesy of good ole Sallie Mae. I own those. I can't even lie and say I sent a payment, that they messed up some kind of way....I just...didn't. I simply wasn't smart about my credit a couple years back and made poor choices. EQ has me with 6 90 day lates back in Apr 07 (one late for each tradeline that I had until I consolidated). TU doesn't report those, but has me with one 90 and one 120 back in Nov/Dec 06. Again, one for each tradeline. Smiley Sad

I have no collection accounts, no charge offs, no lates other than those listed above, (I'm going to double check the reports I pulled from each site and make sure none of the accounts that were included in bankruptcy are reporting lates after 4/09 when I filed, but I don't *think* they are), no medical accounts, and one credit card account that has gone to a zero balance since the last time it was reported to the bureaus. I'm also going to apply for a Public Savings Bank secured card next week because of the soft pull advantage they have. I'd prefer to go with a local credit union, but I can't be convinced that they won't hard pull. I suppose I could hard pull and lose the points to gain them back later, but I really don't want to do that.

I guess....I'm feeling a little discouraged. I see all these success stories of people calling and writing and having items removed and increasing their scores, but I don't think there's anyone that I can call or write.

Have I done all that I can? If the consensus is yes maybe I just need to suck up my feelings and get back into the swing of things in about 6 months, when the second card has had time to report.

Thanks for any input, wisdom, et. al. I appreciate it. These past couple of years have been a costly lesson.

Ch. 7 BK discharged 7/09
myFICO pull 1/11
TU: 629 EQ: 667
Goal: Forget the score--I just want a house w/a comfie fixed mortgage! Smiley Happy
But I guess the 700 club couldn't hurt!
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
guydiver
Established Contributor

Re: Have I done all I can do for now?

Sallie Mae isn't going to budge.  Good news is my lates all dropped off 1 year early, and all at once it went to a positive tradeline.  Had to live with them for six years though.  They do hurt your score, but some have posted that they are less of a factor on a manual review.  Can't say either way, never had a manual review I know of.  It might help slightly to report a 1% balance on your CC, and you need positive tradelines reporting to balance out those negative ones.  The secured card will definitely help things in the 6-12 month range if you keep it active and don't let it report a balance if the other card is reporting a balance.  Actually a third positive revolving tradeline might be ideal so only one of them can report and keep you at <50% revolving tradelines reporting a balance.  YMMV.  Just FYI, I knew my loans were my fault too. I disputed years ago with Sallie Mae.  Came back verified, then I just let them age.  They dropped all by themselves one year before the oldest 30-day was due to drop off.

@Restore2011 wrote:

I've posted bits and pieces of this a couple of times, but this time I have an entirely different question.

My current scores are in my siggy. This score is comprised of one BK (d/c), and several (lots of?) lates courtesy of good ole Sallie Mae. I own those. I can't even lie and say I sent a payment, that they messed up some kind of way....I just...didn't. I simply wasn't smart about my credit a couple years back and made poor choices. EQ has me with 6 90 day lates back in Apr 07 (one late for each tradeline that I had until I consolidated). TU doesn't report those, but has me with one 90 and one 120 back in Nov/Dec 06. Again, one for each tradeline. Smiley Sad

I have no collection accounts, no charge offs, no lates other than those listed above, (I'm going to double check the reports I pulled from each site and make sure none of the accounts that were included in bankruptcy are reporting lates after 4/09 when I filed, but I don't *think* they are), no medical accounts, and one credit card account that has gone to a zero balance since the last time it was reported to the bureaus. I'm also going to apply for a Public Savings Bank secured card next week because of the soft pull advantage they have. I'd prefer to go with a local credit union, but I can't be convinced that they won't hard pull. I suppose I could hard pull and lose the points to gain them back later, but I really don't want to do that.

I guess....I'm feeling a little discouraged. I see all these success stories of people calling and writing and having items removed and increasing their scores, but I don't think there's anyone that I can call or write.

Have I done all that I can? If the consensus is yes maybe I just need to suck up my feelings and get back into the swing of things in about 6 months, when the second card has had time to report.

Thanks for any input, wisdom, et. al. I appreciate it. These past couple of years have been a costly lesson.

Message 2 of 3
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

Re: Have I done all I can do for now?

@guydiver wrote:

Sallie Mae isn't going to budge.  Good news is my lates all dropped off 1 year early, and all at once it went to a positive tradeline.  Had to live with them for six years though.  They do hurt your score, but some have posted that they are less of a factor on a manual review.  Can't say either way, never had a manual review I know of.  It might help slightly to report a 1% balance on your CC, and you need positive tradelines reporting to balance out those negative ones.  The secured card will definitely help things in the 6-12 month range if you keep it active and don't let it report a balance if the other card is reporting a balance.  Actually a third positive revolving tradeline might be ideal so only one of them can report and keep you at <50% revolving tradelines reporting a balance.  YMMV.  Just FYI, I knew my loans were my fault too. I disputed years ago with Sallie Mae.  Came back verified, then I just let them age.  They dropped all by themselves one year before the oldest 30-day was due to drop off.

@Restore2011 wrote:

I would have to disagree with you on this. Sallie Mae just like any other school loan is very difficult to deal with, but I have had success after 11 months of making attempts and going back and forth with them. They finally removed all negative reporting to my surprise. If Sallie Mae kept reporting the negatives it would have been on my Credit Reports for another 5 plus years. 

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.