cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Avoiding Credit Ding On 30$ Cox Bill Sent To Collections

tag
gammacentauri
New Visitor

Help Avoiding Credit Ding On 30$ Cox Bill Sent To Collections

Hello all. I did not paid a 30$ utility bill for Cox internet. I got an email today saying I got sent to collections. Cox gave me the option to pay them and then THEY will tell Credence Resource Management that the debt has been paid. How can they do that if they sold my debt to a collecting agency? I want to do anything possible to avoid a negative hit on my credit. 

 

1) Pay Cox and when the collections agency says I am in debt I provide them the receipt showing them I am paid in full and that the debt is invalid

2) Wait until I hear from the collection agency and hope that I can pay ASAP so they do not report it to the credit agency. Based on the BBB complaints website, their company replies show that it seems they send a letter to you saying you have 30 days to verify / contest the debt and after 45-60 days they report it to the credit bureaus

3) Pay the collection agency and they lie to me and still report it on my file.

4) Dispute the debt and ask it to be verified and hope they do not get back to me on time but then it could hurt my chances of avoiding the negative credit ding for having a collections on my file

 

For the record this was a huge mix up and I plan on paying the $30 unless it can somehow harm me. Please help guys I am freaking out!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Help Avoiding Credit Ding On 30$ Cox Bill Sent To Collections


@gammacentauri wrote:

Hello all. I did not paid a 30$ utility bill for Cox internet. I got an email today saying I got sent to collections. Cox gave me the option to pay them and then THEY will tell Credence Resource Management that the debt has been paid. How can they do that if they sold my debt to a collecting agency? I want to do anything possible to avoid a negative hit on my credit. 

 

1) Pay Cox and when the collections agency says I am in debt I provide them the receipt showing them I am paid in full and that the debt is invalid

2) Wait until I hear from the collection agency and hope that I can pay ASAP so they do not report it to the credit agency. Based on the BBB complaints website, their company replies show that it seems they send a letter to you saying you have 30 days to verify / contest the debt and after 45-60 days they report it to the credit bureaus

3) Pay the collection agency and they lie to me and still report it on my file.

4) Dispute the debt and ask it to be verified and hope they do not get back to me on time but then it could hurt my chances of avoiding the negative credit ding for having a collections on my file

 

For the record this was a huge mix up and I plan on paying the $30 unless it can somehow harm me. Please help guys I am freaking out!


Did the email state that the collection has appeared on your credit reports ?  Or just that your account was sent to collections ?

 

If the CA isn't on your reports then it might make sense to pay Cox directly, also if you can ask them to recall the debt from the CA then it shouldn't appear on your reports.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 8
gammacentauri
New Visitor

Re: Help Avoiding Credit Ding On 30$ Cox Bill Sent To Collections

I asked them if I pay them is it still going to hurt my credit and they said yes. They said it is impossible to reverse. The email came from Cox:

We wanted to let you know that we've transferred your account to Credence Resource Management, LLC to collect your outstanding balance.

Message 3 of 8
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: Help Avoiding Credit Ding On 30$ Cox Bill Sent To Collections


@gammacentauri wrote:

I asked them if I pay them is it still going to hurt my credit and they said yes. They said it is impossible to reverse. The email came from Cox:

We wanted to let you know that we've transferred your account to Credence Resource Management, LLC to collect your outstanding balance.


Is the debt on your credit reports?? You can pay COX the money . I certainly won't let this drag out any longer .

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 4 of 8
Lou-natic
Established Contributor

Re: Help Avoiding Credit Ding On 30$ Cox Bill Sent To Collections


@Jnbmom wrote:

@gammacentauri wrote:

I asked them if I pay them is it still going to hurt my credit and they said yes. They said it is impossible to reverse. The email came from Cox:

We wanted to let you know that we've transferred your account to Credence Resource Management, LLC to collect your outstanding balance.


Is the debt on your credit reports?? You can pay COX the money . I certainly won't let this drag out any longer .


This, if you can pay COX directly then you should do that. If nothing has hit your reports yet you should be fine.

Also, check your reports at annualcreditreport.com to make sure of everything. Just because they "tell you something" doesn't make it true, positive or negative.




3/3/24
Message 5 of 8
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Help Avoiding Credit Ding On 30$ Cox Bill Sent To Collections


@gammacentauri wrote:

Hello all. I did not paid a 30$ utility bill for Cox internet. I got an email today saying I got sent to collections. Cox gave me the option to pay them and then THEY will tell Credence Resource Management that the debt has been paid. How can they do that if they sold my debt to a collecting agency? I want to do anything possible to avoid a negative hit on my credit. 

 

1) Pay Cox and when the collections agency says I am in debt I provide them the receipt showing them I am paid in full and that the debt is invalid

2) Wait until I hear from the collection agency and hope that I can pay ASAP so they do not report it to the credit agency. Based on the BBB complaints website, their company replies show that it seems they send a letter to you saying you have 30 days to verify / contest the debt and after 45-60 days they report it to the credit bureaus

3) Pay the collection agency and they lie to me and still report it on my file.

4) Dispute the debt and ask it to be verified and hope they do not get back to me on time but then it could hurt my chances of avoiding the negative credit ding for having a collections on my file

 

For the record this was a huge mix up and I plan on paying the $30 unless it can somehow harm me. Please help guys I am freaking out!


Creditors can and will use a CA to collect on their behalf while they still own it. Hopefully its paid by the time you see this. Welcome to the Forums.


Message 6 of 8
kympocalypse
Established Member

Re: Help Avoiding Credit Ding On 30$ Cox Bill Sent To Collections

If Cox says you can pay them, pay them. It really is that simple. If it shows up as collections on your CR, dispute it as paid, and since it is, it will come off. 

Message 7 of 8
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Help Avoiding Credit Ding On 30$ Cox Bill Sent To Collections


@kympocalypse wrote:

If Cox says you can pay them, pay them. It really is that simple. If it shows up as collections on your CR, dispute it as paid, and since it is, it will come off. 


It's actually not quite that simple. OCs can hire outside CAs to collect on their behalf. Once given collection authority, they can then report their own TL, which they may or may not delete upon payment. They're only required to update to paid once it is paid. They're not required to delete it.


Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:




Current FICO 8 scores:


Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.