Did you mean: 

Help For A NewbiePlease

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help For A NewbiePlease

@AllZero wrote:

@timshifty 

1. Do you have the available funds to address the collections?

2. Do you have the available funds for a down payment on a house, if required?

3. Some Collection Agencies will do PFD, Pay For Delete. Some CAs will not.

4. If you do not have the funds to address the collections, perhaps wait until the derogatories are removed from your reports at the 7 year exclusion date.

Your scores are a tad low. You both have some work ahead of you. It is achievable to clean up both your credit reports and increase your scores. It will require both of you to tackle your derogatories.

are any of these COs or CAs paid, just still showing, or are all owed?

To expand, if you do have funds to work on these derogs, it would help if you could list out each CA/OC with balance owed. I am assuming every CO and CA drops in 2022?

I totally understand hitting a rough patch in life that turns your credit upside-down! That has basically been the story of my whole adult life! I am finally reigning everything in tho, but to be perfectly honest, even 1 year ago I was about in the same position as both of you, having 10+ CAs and it can definitely be overwhelming, but can be dealt with! I chose/believed the path was wait out the 7 years, I found out that was not the case, but rather tackle it, and like you most everything is/was due to drop off in 2 years or less. I decided to wait out most of it, but anything outside the bulk of negatives falling off in 2021, I decided to tackle. That was a financial and personal decision. Me and my SO want to own a hime too, but had to be real in our capabilities. We couldn't throw every dime we had at debt that was outside the SOL *and* have a down payment for a home, so that was our compromise. It was definitely *not* what we wanted, but what we had to do.

Feel free to list all those CAs out to see if we can help guide you to get rid of some of these baddies and clean up your credit to be home ready! Even if you choose to wait, you should still work on building your credit, and if you haven't already, because once everything falls off you will have no credit, and that is a whole different situation.

I always thought once it all fell off and I had a completely clean slate, that I would have "excellent" credit, and I was sorely mistaken about that, too. I had been given such bad advice over the years regarding credit!

So think about it and what you both want to do and we can help guide you either way.

Good luck!

Message 11 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@timshifty wrote:

No we dont have the extra money to pay all those down. We also do not have money down very much. So my only issues is what credit issues do I adress and what ones do I just leave alone and let fall off. I have been reading and it looks like if they are older they do not really count towards credit score. The guy seemed to think even if the were old we still needed to have the money that was owed taken care of to the creditors. If that makes sense

no matter how old, if they are negative accounts reporting on your credit, the mortgage UW will likely want all debts paid before being considered for a mortgage.

Message 12 of 14
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@timshifty wrote:

No we dont have the extra money to pay all those down. We also do not have money down very much. So my only issues is what credit issues do I adress and what ones do I just leave alone and let fall off. I have been reading and it looks like if they are older they do not really count towards credit score. The guy seemed to think even if the were old we still needed to have the money that was owed taken care of to the creditors. If that makes sense

Then, I would recommend postponing your house hunting until the derogatories are removed from both your credit reports.

In the meantime, save up the funds for a down payment. Pull your credit reports from annualcreditreport.com. Look at all your derogatories. Mark your exclusion dates on your calendar. Formulate a plan of action. If there are low dollar collections that could be easily addressed, then perhaps look into it. Research into which collection agency does PFD and which do not.

Message 13 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@timshifty  From what reading I have done here in the forums, it is my understanding that mortgage underwriters do not like to see money owed for collections, derogatory accounts, charge offs, etc.  While I believe you are correct, once those negative accounts are pretty old, they may not impact your score as harshly as if they were fresh...but I believe those accounts will need to be satisfied and/or drop off.  For you and Mom’s sake, I hope I’m wrong and there is some work around.  Wishing you both the best and hope you both have your home very soon.  

🏡🤞🏼

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.