Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! Head going to explode!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help! Head going to explode!

Ok, here is my sob story please help if you can.  I recently decided to look into buying a house. Knowing that my credit might not be the best (I filled for bankruptcy 7/05, discharged 1/06) I pulled my credit reports with my fingers crossed. I was actually pretty surprised to see that my fico scores weren't as bad as I thought  TU:654 Ex:604 EQ:684  I have tried really hard to rebuild my credit since filling.Ok so here comes the frustrating part. After reviewing my credit reports Experian had a recent collection listed that said it started in 2/08 and was currently still in collections 8/08.

Me-  What?!  No Way!

It said it was from RJM acquisitions for $57 for the literary guild. Not knowing anything I immediately disputed it online with Experian.  Trying to dig back into my brain and old emails as far as I could I found that i had made a payment to them and was in good standing and to my knowledge I was all paid up with them and the account was inactive. I have never in 4yrs received anything from the literary guild or this collection company asking me to pay anything!  I would never had known if I hadn't ran my credit report. So I contact the literary guild and  they tell me they have no account info and I have to talk to the collection agency. Ok. So then I send them a letter asking for debt validation (as in what the heck is this $57 dollars all about) and was very cooperative and said please let me know as soon as possible so I can get this taken care of.Blah blah blah

Forward to two weeks later.I never received anything from them in the mail but I do get an alert from my credit monitoring system saying that the collection is no longer a collection but has now been included in my bankruptcy 05' as a tradeline BK-discharged.New balance $0! At first I think awesome! Then after looking at it, it shows that it was filed 8/31/08 and my new experian credit score is went from 604 to 570 !!!

I was hoping the company would send me a letter of debt validation and then I would try to arrange a pay for delete but now this outcome seems to be worse!    

Is there anything I can do?  Who do I contact?  I am so confused! Please help my brain is going to explode! 

--thankyou Brandy
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Help! Head going to explode!

Hi, Brandy, welcome to the forums, and sorry you're going through this!

From your phrases, " I pulled my credit reports with my fingers crossed. I was actually pretty surprised to see that my fico scores weren't as bad as I thought TU:654 Ex:604 EQ:684" and "I do get an alert from my credit monitoring system....and my new experian credit score is went from 604 to 570", it sounds like you don't actually have your FICO scores.

The only place that you can get all three FICO's at once is here on myFICO. You can get your EQ FICO only at Equifax, and your TU FICO only at transunionCS.com (note the cs), but definitely, the only place your can get your EX FICO score is here at myFICO.

Your real (FICO) scores are probably different, either higher or lower, and at some point you'll probably want to know what they are.

Which monitoring system do you use? (TrueCredit, etc.)

In the meantime, you will need to get that account untangled (and EX can be a nightmare), so I'm leaving this problem for the more experienced members on this (RYC) forum.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your response!  I'm new to this stuff and probably should have been more clear on my scoring hahaSmiley Happy

I actually do have my FICO scores from this website. At first I went through truecredit.com but after doing some research I realized that I needed to come here to get my actual FICO scores. I do still have a free trial period going on at truecredit but I also have score watch on here for my EQ score. So confusing! The only credit agency reporting this collection is Experian the other two are not.  I got the notification through truecredit but after I saw that my score had dropped I pulled a new one through this website and that is when I found that my actual FICO EX score had dropped to a 570! Yikes! 

Now I'm wondering if I should put the house hunting on hold with new credit scores of TU-654 EX-570 EQ-684.  I have a low debt to income ratio and an almost 3yr old bankruptcy.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unless you actually declared this account as IIB - this is false reporting.

RJM (hate these guys) it is illegal (FDCPA) for them to update your reports like this prior to sending validation.

They must make the account "Disputed by customer"

Send them a follow-up DV with ITS.
IF you would rather- RJM is PFD friendly.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

RJM usually reports to TU and EX - so keep an eye out.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you . I will do that!   I just don't understand how an old debt from 04 that RJM is making look like a fresh collection from 08 can be included in my bankruptcy from 05 when I didn't include it in my BK in 05 because I didn't know about it! It probably didn't even exist then.  I hate these people.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.