Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help - Is A CA Breaking The Law?

tag
jbh
Established Contributor

Help - Is A CA Breaking The Law?

This weird nugget I just found now on Experian (Don't see it on TransUnion)

I called this CA to see what payment terms exist (I should have dv'd but I hadn't visited this site yet) when I found it on my credit report (this was 6/08)

On the report it states under "Recent Payment" - $135 (1/3 of the debt)
Under Terms: "One Month"

Where does this come from?

Thing is, I never paid this $135. What is that about? Do I dispute that? They have it listed as 'installment' even though I have no written agreement that I will make installment payments. I only stated that I'd be interested in considering the options that they offered but I never officially agreed in writing.

What should I do?

Message Edited by jbh on 08-05-2008 04:16 PM
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
jbh
Established Contributor

Re: Should I Dispute This Odd Info From The CA?

Sorry to bump, but I would love to know what my rights are in this situation. Should I dispute that or just pif (which I plan to do, anyway) and move on?
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

They are resting the SOL....to make it seem like you paid them...so they can sue you...no saying they are going to sue you....who is the CA???...I'm dealing with the same thing with LVNV Funding...listed under installment...1 Month...and factoring comany...all illegal reportings...send a DV letter...including the violations...if they ignore it...file a compalint with the BBB...
Message 3 of 6
jbh
Established Contributor

Thanks. The CA is:

Portfolio Recovery & Affil

I want to file a complaint and will DV, but they have me on record talking to them. That's the problem. I was considering it but I never fully agreed to anything. Even Debt Solutions sent a letter for another account (Now paid in full) assuming I'd pay on 6/30

I said I had more money coming in and I'd like to but it wasn't a sure thing confirmation. I just worry they will manipulate this/make my life hell. I wonder if I should just pay it in full and then tell the CRA
Message 4 of 6
SanFranMatt
Frequent Contributor

They did the same thing to me. It lists "recent payment" of a little over $100 on a $700 debt, and it lists it as an 'installment' on one report and 'factoring account' on another report. It doesn't say when the payment was last made, but the drop off date is a year later for this account than it is for the OC account that corresponds to it.

I'm still in the process of DV'ing them, so I haven't disputed any information with the CRA's yet.
Message 5 of 6
jbh
Established Contributor

Wait, how can the drop off date change? Is that legal?

Should we be suing these idiots?
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.