cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help, MIDLAND just reported a "new late payment on a new account" that is NOT NEW!!

tag
Mistakes
Contributor

Help, MIDLAND just reported a "new late payment on a new account" that is NOT NEW!!

My credit report is listing MIDLAND has a "recent late payment/new collection" but they've been on my credit report!!  What do I do?

Starting Score: EX649/EQ637/TU611
Current Score: EX649/EQ637/TU620
Goal Score: 750+ ALL 3 by December 2012

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Help, MIDLAND just reported a "new late payment on a new account" that is NOT NEW!!

First, be sure that the debt collector is acutally reporting a late on the collection account.  Sometimes a commercial credit report will list delinquencies that occured under an OC account under the collection account heading, making it appear as if reported by the debt collector.

If reasonably sure they reported a delinquency on the collection, then I would send them a direct dispute under FCRA 623(a)(8), with the inaccuracy being the reporting of a delinquency when you have no account with them, and additionally never sent a billing statement upon which to base any date of delinquency.

They have apparently being playing this game with other consumers, asserting that purchase of a debt establishes an account agreement with the consumer, and often accompanied by their reporting of an installment loan. If they list an installment account under their collection, include that in your direct dispute.

If they verify the accuracy of their ability to report a delinquency on a collection, you have an issue that must be put before a third party for resolution, and FTC complaint and/or civil action is the next step.  You could also supplement with a BBB complaint.

Message 2 of 6
Mistakes
Contributor

Re: Help, MIDLAND just reported a "new late payment on a new account" that is NOT NEW!!

Thank you!   Once I send Midland the direct dispute letter how long do I wait for a reply?  Do I also send a copy of the letter to the Credit reporting agencies?

Starting Score: EX649/EQ637/TU611
Current Score: EX649/EQ637/TU620
Goal Score: 750+ ALL 3 by December 2012

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 6
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

No need to send a letter to the CRAs.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 4 of 6
426MW
New Contributor

The same thing just happened to me today.  Must be reporting day for MCM.

Starting Score: EQ 553 - TU 569 8-24-12
1-4-13 Scores: EQ 645 - TU 675
3-25-13 Lender pull EQ 646 - TU 687 - EX 647
Goal Score: 700 Across the board before 6-13

Message 5 of 6
Springer
New Contributor

same here! hate them

In The Garden Since 1/5/13

Starting Score: EQ FICO 627 CK 633 CS 630 (12/2012)
Current Score: EQ FICO-584: EX FICO (BofA, 12/17/2012): 538 :CK 578 :CS 630
Goal Score: 700

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.