Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Me Begin the Journey to Rebuild PLEASE

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help Me Begin the Journey to Rebuild

The Discover prequal kicked back and said they would not be able to provide me an offer due to a recent delinquency with another creditor.

Assuming this is because of my 30d lates earlier. I think I will app for the Capital One Platinum unsecured for now. I guess my question would be given the value most say Discover seems to hold, in a couple months after having the Cap1 Platinum report, should I also try to prequal and app for the Discover card? Or is that doing too much now
Message 11 of 14
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

Checking prequalification with Discover in a few months won't hurt anything, and Discover is an excellent card, including the secured version. Let us know if you actually get the Platinum. I think that would be a great step for now. Good luck!

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 12 of 14
Jannelo
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
The Discover prequal kicked back and said they would not be able to provide me an offer due to a recent delinquency with another creditor.

Assuming this is because of my 30d lates earlier. I think I will app for the Capital One Platinum unsecured for now. I guess my question would be given the value most say Discover seems to hold, in a couple months after having the Cap1 Platinum report, should I also try to prequal and app for the Discover card? Or is that doing too much now

It may be a while because of your recent lates,  but the moment Discover gives you a pre-qual offer on the secured card, I would accept it.  I had it at some point for quite a few months and I ignored it (secured).  Six months after the Platinum, I got the a pre-qual on the CapOne QuicksilverOne with a 1,000 CL.  It's getting ready to hit $1500.  I then got a car loan from CapOne.  I checked Discover and still had a secured card offer.  I did not want another secured card as I had one already, the Green Dot Primor (my first rebuild card) and was paying down the CapOne charge-off.  I was too impatient and wanted an unsecured offer.  Merrick Bank I had prequalifed for but only $500 Double Your Line, and an annual fee.  But one day, two months after my car loan, I received an offer in the mail for $700 Double Your Line Visa  (to $1400 after seven months), no AF.  I took it.   The minute I did,  Discover took away the secured offer because it says I have  too recent of credit lines.  I guess because I had two newish cards:  QuicksilverOne and Merrick Bank CC.   So now it's three months later and still not even a secured card offer.  I am gardening for six months to see where my scores are and waiting for a card like Discover that can really grow with me.   

But the moral of the story is:  I'm now more educated after reading a lot on here.  Discover really gives a lot of CLIs as time goes on.  It has nice perks, no annual fees.  I should have grabbed the secured card many months ago the first or second time I saw the offer, as I wouldn't be that far away from it graduating now.    So don't make the same mistake I did.   Check it every so often and grab it when the offer comes in.  From what I've read on there, the pre-qual offer is pretty solid, especially for the secured card.

I don't regret any of the cards I've gotten.  The  four credit cards and the car loan, along with paying off/paying down charge-offs,  have, in the span of a year (8/18 to 8/19)  helped me improve my Experian score by over 110 points, with Equifax and TU not far behind.   I'm still paying down one big charge-off, so that is holding down my scores.   The only thing I would change is adding Discover to the mix early on, about six months ago or even four months ago when I had the opportunity.

Good luck!

Open Credit Cards:
Green Dot Primor Secured (5/18) - $450 CL (CLOSED 2/2020)
Capital One Platinum (8/18) PC to Quicksilver (9/19) - $3800 CL
Capital One QuicksilverOne (3/19) - $4800 CL
Merrick Bank DYL VISA - No AF (6/19) - $1400 CL
Discover it Cash Back (9/19) - $2800 CL
Amazon Prime Store Card (4/20) - $10,000 CL
NFCU cashRewards (4/20) - $4500 CL
BB&T Spectrum Cash Rewards (5/20) - $3500 CL
Navy Federal More Rewards American Express® Card (3/21) - $9700 SL - at 9.65 %.
Experian FICO Score - 8/2018: 528

Experian FICO 8 Score - 9/2022 - 720
Equifax FICO 8 score 2/2022- 692
TransUnion FICO 8 score 10/2022 - 728
Experian FICO Mortgage Score - 725
Message 13 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Applied earlier today and got approved for a $300 unsecured Platinum! Thanks for all your help guys!

Going to use this as my netflix and once weekly work lunch card. Rest of my debt will be wiped out and paid off if used again in the future. Car loan coming in the next few weeks as well and then just laying low for a while I guess. Will keep looking for the discover card though as that may be something to have in my arsenal to keep and grow.
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.