Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! My credit score totally tanked...

tag
frogfan12
Established Contributor

Help! My credit score totally tanked...

I have been actively working since August of last year to improve my credit score. I even reached a 760 as my best credit score. Then a collection agency reported me for a $116 medical bill. I have tried to call and asked for a "pay for delete" but they refuse to do that. Is a settlement or "paid in full" status going to help my credit? My credit score fell a whopping 90+ points based on this report. Previously, I had no blemishes. What can I do now that my score has fallen to 655? Somebody please give me some reassuring advice that it will all be OK.

Starting Score: 760
Current Score: 716 Equifax 754 TU 736 Experian
Goal Score: 760
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
John060675
Valued Contributor

Re: Help! My credit score totally tanked...

I can tell you by personal experience that a settlement or a paid in full on a collection does nothing (or at least very little) to help credit scores. I would keep working on the PFD attempts.

Starting Score: 583 EQ, 612 EX, 569 TU
Current Score: 658 EQ, 648 EX, 618 TU
Goal Score: 720 EQ, 720 EX, 720 TU

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 6
ILBrian
Regular Contributor

I would agree it would be just as derogatory to any automated system however a mortgage officer would generally want it paid off..

First is the collection valid? try writing the company a letter as well

Wallet: Discover IT, Discover Gas, Citi Professional (6.74% apr), Chase Freedom, Cap1 Quciksilver, Élan Financial Rewards, BOA Amex, Walmart, CareCredit, Paypal Smart Connect, Kohls, HSBC Cash or Fly, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Amex Zync, Amex Blue Cash Preferred, USAA Plat Rewards, Chase Ink, NFCU Plat
Message 3 of 6
frogfan12
Established Contributor

The collection is valid. It was from a visit to the hospital when I was in college. I just graduated and I honestly did not have the money to pay it back until recently.

I just don't want to get a bad deal on a home in the future because of one little mistake. Although I really don't plan on buying a home or seeking credit for anything in the next 7 years. Smiley Sad

Message 4 of 6
gagum129
Regular Contributor

Research the HIPPA process for a medical collections. I have not done this as of yet but may have to explore it with some medical debts. You can not really talk much about it on these forums but do some searching outside of here and see what you come up with.

Starting Score: 582
Current Score:
Equifax 684 MyFico 10/10/11
Transunion 659 lender pull 7/6/11
Experian 690 lender pull 7/6/11

Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 6
frogfan12
Established Contributor

Yay! Thanks for the advice. I continued to stay in contact with the collection agency and they wiped the negative information from my credit report. FICO score saved and crisis averted. Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.