Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help: Neverending charge off from 1990's Belk Card -

tag
credit_questons
Established Member

Help: Neverending charge off from 1990's Belk Card -

This is my first post here. I'm new so be gentle. I need some advice.

I am recovering from terrible credit score and have achieved a score of 687. I am trying to improve it by reviewing and cleaning up my credit report. I have one pesky item on one of my credit reports.

It is a charge off for $380 on a Belk credit card. I opened this account in 1991. It was my very first credit card. It was included in a Chapter 13 Bankruptcy in 1997. I defaulted on the Bankruptcy payments in 2001 before it was discharged. Some of the original creditors did come after me and I took care of them over the years. However, Belk reported this charge off in 2007. I just realized it was on report (had not reviewed this companies report for a few years).

I called Belk because honestly I have no idea what to do about this debt. I have not received a single bill ever. They told me that the only info they had on file was that I had an account that was charged off and the debt was sold to a CA. They don't even know which collection agency. They said they cannot remove it from my report and it will stay there forever (obviously not true, but very unhelpful customer service rep.). They told me to dispute with credit reporting agency if I don't agree with it. They have no idea which collection agency they sold to and I have never heard a peep from a collection agency regarding this debt. Ever.

I'm willing to pay. I don't want to pay Belk because the collection agency owns the debt and Belk isn't interested in being paid. They didn't even try to get my new address or phone number. I can't pay the collection agency because I have no idea who they are.

The original bill was probably charged off sometime in the early 90's then included in the Bankruptcy. Now this is going to stay on my credit for seven years from the date they reported the charge off which is 2007.  It will be there until 2014 almost 20 years after I stopped paying! This just can't be right, but what can I do? I have suffered enough. I feel trapped in bizarre red tape and I'm willing to pay!!!  No one will even take my money. Please help.

edit: I live in Maryland if this makes a difference. I think our credit card SOL is 3 years.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
credit_questons
Established Member

Re: question about old Belk card debt from the 90's

Nothing Smiley Sad

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help: Neverending charge off from 1990's Belk Card -

@credit_questons wrote:

This is my first post here. I'm new so be gentle. I need some advice.

I am recovering from terrible credit score and have achieved a score of 687. I am trying to improve it by reviewing and cleaning up my credit report. I have one pesky item on one of my credit reports.

It is a charge off for $380 on a Belk credit card. I opened this account in 1991. It was my very first credit card. It was included in a Chapter 13 Bankruptcy in 1997. I defaulted on the Bankruptcy payments in 2001 before it was discharged. Some of the original creditors did come after me and I took care of them over the years. However, Belk reported this charge off in 2007. I just realized it was on report (had not reviewed this companies report for a few years).

I called Belk because honestly I have no idea what to do about this debt. I have not received a single bill ever. They told me that the only info they had on file was that I had an account that was charged off and the debt was sold to a CA. They don't even know which collection agency. They said they cannot remove it from my report and it will stay there forever (obviously not true, but very unhelpful customer service rep.). They told me to dispute with credit reporting agency if I don't agree with it. They have no idea which collection agency they sold to and I have never heard a peep from a collection agency regarding this debt. Ever.

I'm willing to pay. I don't want to pay Belk because the collection agency owns the debt and Belk isn't interested in being paid. They didn't even try to get my new address or phone number. I can't pay the collection agency because I have no idea who they are.

The original bill was probably charged off sometime in the early 90's then included in the Bankruptcy. Now this is going to stay on my credit for seven years from the date they reported the charge off which is 2007.  It will be there until 2014 almost 20 years after I stopped paying! This just can't be right, but what can I do? I have suffered enough. I feel trapped in bizarre red tape and I'm willing to pay!!!  No one will even take my money. Please help.

edit: I live in Maryland if this makes a difference. I think our credit card SOL is 3 years.

Unfortunately I do not know how to calculate the drop-off date for an account that wasn't successfully paid off in a Chapter 13 plan.  I would say, however, that beggining the credit reporting time period 6 years after last delinquency sounds wrong.  When was your Ch. 13 case closed?

Message 3 of 6
credit_questons
Established Member

@Anonymous wrote:

Unfortunately I do not know how to calculate the drop-off date for an account that wasn't successfully paid off in a Chapter 13 plan.  I would say, however, that beggining the credit reporting time period 6 years after last delinquency sounds wrong.  When was your Ch. 13 case closed?

Last delinquency sometime in late 90s.

Ch. 13 case dismissed 7+ years ago. I stopped paying so I lost all bankruptcy protection, but it was almost ten years ago.

I am also willing to pay.

Still can't get the darn thing off. Doesn't seem right, but I don't know what to do.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@credit_questons wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Last delinquency sometime in late 90s.

Ch. 13 case dismissed 7+ years ago. I stopped paying so I lost all bankruptcy protection, but it was almost ten years ago.

I am also willing to pay.

Still can't get the darn thing off. Doesn't seem right, but I don't know what to do.

Try sending a PM (Private Message) on this site to RobertEG.  He is one of the experts on credit bureau reporting and might know what to advise you.  I am not sure how CRA reporting interacts with a Ch. 13.

Message 5 of 6
credit_questons
Established Member

Thank you so much. This is so weird and I just don't know what to do. Thanks so much for trying to help.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.