Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Trying to Remove Collections from Credit Report

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Help Trying to Remove Collections from Credit Report

Hello all! First time posting, so I hope this is in the right place. So I have been on a journey in repairing my credit... I had over a 700 score, and due to family member losing their job last year, I was the one paying all bills. I got super tight, but also had a medical procedure around the same time, and ending up with 2 bills. One totaling $350 and another $117. Well, I was unable to pay. I tried setting up payments for the $350 one, and made my first payment of $50 and right after that, they sent my bills both to collections and they got put on my report... so much for trying to make payments. And no, the payments were not in writing, it was just something discussed over the phone with the doctor. 

So, Credit Control Corp is who has a hold on these accounts. It made my score drop over 50 points among other things. I currently am in need of a car, and want a decent score to at least try and get a single digit interest rate on a car loan. I am in a better space financially, family member now has income and is doing what they need to do but I suffered for it by choosing to pay rent instead of pay my medical bills as I didn't think they'd send me to collections if I was making payments, or at least that is how they made it seem.

I was told Credit Control Corp does not remove from your report even if they tell you they will and have you pay in full. I don't see the point in paying in full just to add a few points to my score, when I know that if I pay in full and it is removed, my score will jump. Does anyone have any advice? I sent a letter over a month ago telling them I am not taking responsbility for the debt, but I asked that they verify it and if it is verified, then I will pay in full upon the agreement of removing it from my report. I got no response... don't know next steps....

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Help Trying to Remove Collections from Credit Report

Your payment likely reset the SOL.

Paying will remove any issue of their bringing civil action seeking a judgment.

Not paying runs the risk of their taking action to seek a civil judgment.

Your call.........

Message 2 of 3
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

Re: Help Trying to Remove Collections from Credit Report

Since it's your debt and it's still probably within the SOL, I would pay the bill whether you receive a PFD or not. If they agree to PFD, get it in writing.

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.