Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help: WF suing my sister over her CC

tag
boober
Frequent Contributor

Help: WF suing my sister over her CC

Not sure what help I can get on this. But the problem is, my sister's way overdue on her CC with WF. She owes around 5k or so. I told her to call and basically beg for anything she can get from them help wise. They were of no help and it's gotten to the point where says they're going to sue her.

I'm surprised by this as I had to myself, call a couple of CC companies before and had no problem settling my debt with them. I guess maybe she's too far behind with them or that's just the way WF is.

I don't know all the details as I've just heard this from my sister. I was hoping someone could offer any input and help on this at all please.

She's worried she might lose her house over this.

Thanks

13 REPLIES 13
AnimatorProcrastinator
Regular Contributor

Re: Help: WF suing my sister over her CC

I have no experience with this, but a huge bank like WF suing a customer over only $5,000 sounds very odd. I'd assume paying their attorney costs that much alone or more. I thought it was common practice to send the debt to collections.

Message 2 of 14
boober
Frequent Contributor

She says they're suing but I wouldn't at all be surprised if she's just using the wrong terminology. I'd say it's safe to say she hasn't paid them anything in many months. Thanks for the reply by the way.

Message 3 of 14
phillyguy12
Frequent Contributor

Its hard to say w. Such limted info.
I would assume if she was 90 or 120 past due they would have dumped or sold her account to a debt collector, once that happens they usually call and mail for awhile then they would eventually end up suing her and she would be served the complaint. And she has so long to respond, if she doesn't and doesn't show up for the hearing she will lose and they could garnish wages and put a lein on her house. But i would think its very unlikely she would lose the house over 5k. . I also assume she doesn't have a checking or savings accout with them becasue they would have prob taken the amt past due from any deposit account she had w. Them by now.. i like many others here have been down this road. She needs to contact who ever holds the debt, its likely not wf at this point, and work out some kind of payment plan.or see if they would settle for less then the full amt.
Amx BCE-25k,Amx Zync-NSPL
Barclay's Mastercard-13.5k
Credit Union Visa-1k
Discover-24k, Khols-2k
Message 4 of 14
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

OP
Ask your sis for more info. It’s the only way you will be able to guide her in the right direction.

Then, we would be able to help you help her.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 5 of 14
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Yes more info is needed. I don't know where the sue thing is coming in, but even if so it could be more of a threat or scare tactic at this point. The main thing is just keeping calm and getting the detailed info needed about where everything stands, then develop the plan of action from there.

It's very easy to get caught up in emotion or stress of a situation before it has even escalated to what you are fearing. It is at that point where you are more likely not to think clearly and make bad decisions.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 6 of 14
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

+1 @Ron

Emotion coupled with stress is a powerful thing.

Knowing the facts will alleviate this because then one can focus on what really needs to be done.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 7 of 14
vntrsc
Frequent Contributor

“Going to sue her” and actually being sued are 2 different things. 

Has as your sister been served a summons and complaint?  She can also call the clerk of court’s office at her county court and inquire if a lawsuit has been filed naming her as the defendant. 

Message 8 of 14
ls2016
Frequent Contributor

Wells Fargo SUED and PLACED A LIEN on a home own by myself and ex-husband over a $2,400 past due line of credit that he had. The bank did sue and won, but failed to garnish wages, instead a lien was placed on tge home, which was devastating and embarassing to me. I found out during the closing process of selling the home through a divorce settlement, where I was forced to pay his debt that was accumulated after the separation, but before the divorce. So, I suggest taking the bank's threat seriously and making payments, even small payments as there is a chance a lien could be placed against her property. I'm just sharing my experience.
Current FICO 8s: Ex 768, Tu 741, Eq 741
Current FICO 9s: Ex 775, Tu ?? Eq 781
Total TLs: $120,000
8 (30-60 day) mortgage lates and 2 (30 day) auto lates remain from Jan., Feb. 2016
Current Mortgage Ex. Fico 2 787
Message 9 of 14
boober
Frequent Contributor

Wow! I'm so sorry to hear that happened to you Is2016!!!! Smiley Sad That's horrible.

Thank you everyone for the very helpful and informative advice.

I did talk to my sister and she's agreed to bring in all her papaer work on this and her other debt so I can see what she's actually and really up against. I'll post back as needed.

Again, thanks everyone.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.